1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

New popup blocker stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rockit, 2004/09/07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/09/07
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

For some reason the built in popup blocker that came with SP2 has stopped working. I have tried disabling it then re-enabling it but it still won't work. It say's its on and I have it set for max security but still no go?

Any Idea's
    Thanks
    Rockit

2. 2004/09/07
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/09/08
    Rockit

Problem solved .. Uninstalled IE then reinstalled it and the popup blocker is now working!! Time to do a backup image :)

Thanks
    Rockit

5. 2004/09/08
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

6. 2004/09/08
    Rockit

Welshjim,
    Control panel > Add/Remove Programs >Internet Explorer.

Seemed to do the trick..

Later
    Rockit

7. 2004/09/24
    rtimai

rtimai Inactive

The MSKB article that WelshJim referred to says this:

"By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer."

So. Curious. If Add/Remove didn't actually remove and reinstall IE, I wonder what really happened to re-enable the built-in popup blocker? (Glad it worked anyway.)

There are a number of popular add-in popup blockers. I use Google Toolbar's built-in popup blocker, and have turned off IE6's and Norton Internet Security's blockers. Still, I think there must be great potential for conflicts and confusion with the overlapping tasks here.

8. 2004/09/25
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello rtimai,

You're right about IE6 not deleted and reinstalled. By the evidence, re-affirming, if you will, IE's "primacy" the function came back. Not the first time Windows lost it's settings.

On popup blocking in particular: I remember posting a thread about IE's blocker, and one of the answers I got back was from Newt who said he didn't notice because he used google's; I don't think he was the only one running both at the same time :)

The point I'm trying to make is you don't know until you try. I happen to use Proxomitron - a configurable web filtering program that among other things blocks popups. No conflict w/IE. Proxo front ends IE, it functions as a "proxy" - all traffic goes thru it.

The general comment I want to make is about the reluctance of many to experiment. The reaction is like yours - worried about potential problems and accepting ceventional wisdom and never trying.

One more comment about google vs. IE. Those that have been in a position to use both, think IE's is more effective.

Discussion on IE6's popup blocker and sites to test it and, in your case, google's http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=34490&highlight=blocker

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2004/09/25
  9. 2004/09/25
    Fornow

Fornow Inactive

Popup Cop

I prefer Popup Cop to IE's blocker. More versatile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.