1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Information Bar?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by OLDSALTY, 2004/09/05.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/09/05
    OLDSALTY Lifetime Subscription

OLDSALTY Inactive Thread Starter

I have upgraded to XP SP2 and at first the Information Bar would pop up and I could decide about the pop-up. Now I don't get the Information bar and I don't know where it went. I have turned POP-UP blocker off and on but that did not fix it. Is there a way to fix this? I know I should get a pop-up bar because my other PC is still working.

2. 2004/09/05
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

OLDSALTY --What Information Bar? Security alerts, Automatic Update alerts, or?
    If Security or AU, look around the various settings in Control Panel|Security Center.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/09/05
    OLDSALTY Lifetime Subscription

OLDSALTY Inactive Thread Starter

After I upgraded to XP SP2 IE would pop up a yellow bar under the address bar. If I clicked on this bar it gave me options. Some how it stopped working. I have gone to sites that require and install of and activeX script but the bar does not come up so I can do this. I will check out the security settings as you suggested. Be Well

5. 2004/09/05
    2totango

2totango Inactive

:confused:
    The yellow bar drives me nuts---can't get rid of it. Even IE's instructions are suspect. They say to stop the bar from interfering you go to Security and click "enable" and that has absolutely no effect.
    Please help me get rid of the darn thing.

6. 2004/09/05
    dobhar Lifetime Subscription

dobhar Inactive

Last edited: 2004/09/05
  7. 2004/09/05
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

OLD SALTY--Ah, that Information Bar. Forgive me.
    Dobhar has nailed it. Quote from that MSKB article "Important You can turn off the Information Bar in Internet Explorer by lowering the default security settings. However, we strongly recommend that you leave these security settings at their default level or higher. The default security settings in Internet Explorer are designed to help protect your computer from viruses and from attacks over the Internet. "
    So the concerns described in the Information Bar are controlled by your settings in IE Tools|Internet Options|Security tab|Custom Level. This is really no different than the windows that would popup in the middle of your screen with earlier version of Windows--except that SP2 may have changed some of those settings without your knowing it, and so you get more messages.
    P.S. I had already posted on this
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?p=184016
    Old age, I guess.

Last edited: 2004/09/05
  8. 2004/09/05
    2totango

2totango Inactive

I have a pop-up blocker that I have been completely satisfied with and do not want another.
    I have a fire wall likewise satisfying.
    I downloaded an Alison Krauss video sung with James Taylor and that damned bar won't let me access it. I get a huge page listing all kinds of information but clicking on a song title gets me nowhere.
    I'm sorry to be so stupid after four years of doing just simple internet surfing etc. but I just go ape when confronted with instructions (which you so nicely supplied and I followed as best as I can understand English) that don't work, followed by miles of instruction that makes a body dizzy trying to understand.
    I would appreciate a simple on-off switch or is my best bet to uninstall the 2pack--if they even let you do that after downloading it.
    Forgive my lack of understanding but it isn't the first time I needed --do A--then B--then C--etc.

9. 2004/09/05
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

2totango--I understand you have successfully downloaded that video. So you are getting those messages when you try to view the video. Correct?
    See my post just above. Have you reviewed your settings on the Security tab?
    If that does not help, can you supply details on the messages you are getting in the Information bar? Perhaps another program, like AntiVirus, etc. has detected a problem with the download??

10. 2004/09/06
    dobhar Lifetime Subscription

dobhar Inactive

Hi 2totango...

The link I posted => http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270_11-5312854.html in my other post above does give yu a step by step instruction on how to turn of the Information Bar for pop-Ups. The problem is that you will have to turn off the information bar each time it comes up for Pop-Up stopper, Active X, downloads, ect...ect...ect.

1) We'll use the pop-up stopper as an example (as per the link above).
    2) When you see the Information Bar right-click on bar
    3) Select/click "Settings "
    4) You should be a check mark on "Show Information Bar for Pop-ups ". Click the "check Mark" and the bar will disappear

You will need to follow this procedure for all the different times the Information Bar shows up.

Alternatively you can turn the INformation Bat for pop-ups on & off by...
    1) In IE click on "Tools "
    2) Select "Internet Options" from drop down menu
    3) Select "Privacy" Tab
    4) In the "Pop-up Blocked section click Settings" button
    5) In the "Notification and Filter Level" section select/check or unselect/uncheck "Show Information Bar when a pop-up is blocked "
    6) This will turn the bar on or off as you like

-----------------------------------

Hi Old Salty...

Using these instructions is the the "Show Information Bar when a pop-up is blocked" selected or unselected
    1) In IE click on "Tools "
    2) Select "Internet Options" from drop down menu
    3) Select "Privacy" Tab
    4) In the "Pop-up Blocked section click Settings" button
    5) In the "Notification and Filter Level" section is the "Show Information Bar when a pop-up is blocked" selected or unselected

If unselected select it and see if the bar shows up
    ---------------------------------------

Using my PC as a test bed I turned of my Information Bar for Pop-ups using both methods successfully. To turn it back on I used the method above by reselecting "Show Information Bar when a pop-up is blocked ". The bar did not come back until I closed all IE windows first.

Last edited: 2004/09/06
  11. 2004/09/06
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Just to tack a little more info in here...the sp2 popup blocker still works like most blockers. You can override the block by pressing and holding your control key before clicking on the link. Perhaps if the bugger won't show up you can still stop the block.

Hmmm..this bypass technique may only work if you have the blocker set on high or set to block all popups.

You can read the faq's by using via IE's menubar, IE>tools>internet settings>privacy tab and on the bottom where it says popup blocker there is a settings button. The faq is a link within this.

Last edited: 2004/09/06
  12. 2004/09/06
    2totango

2totango Inactive

:rolleyes:
    Thank you all for your hard work and forgive my being a reverse nerd. There must be something in my system that is interfering with this particular operation. I tried nearly all of your suggestions but, as I stated before, the protection I have seems to work just fine intercepting trojans and all kinds of nasty stuff----------so as is my wont, I decided to hell with it and just uninstalled the Service pack.
    They must have anticipated people like me because, unlike a lot of Microsoft stuff, they've made it quite easy to uninstall.
    Thank you again for being concerned and I hope I didn't let you down. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.