1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Service Pack 2: how was your upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Arie, 2004/08/28.

?

Service Pack 2: how was your upgrade?

Poll closed 2004/10/12.
  1. Upgraded without any problems

69 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. Had some minor issues, but got them fixed

23 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Some of my software doesn't work anymore, still running SP2

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Had big problems upgrading/running SP2, and have returned to SP1

16 vote(s)
    13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/28
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

Please post both positive & negative comments if you installed - or tried to install - SP2 for Windows XP.

Arie,
  2. 2004/08/28
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

XP Pro over 98SE.

SP2 over that.

I have yet to see any difference or see any problems other than the SP2 Firewall does seem to be a bit better.

However. After I got rid of Symantec ( ALL ) software I did notice an increase in both stability and speed. But I can not say that it was just in XP. I had the same problem with slowness and occasional hangups when Symantec software was installed in 98SE.

BillyBob

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/28
    paulbristow

paulbristow Well-Known Member

I was nervous about putting on SP2 as I have new HP computer so I checked on the HP site before hand and found one update required to be installed, then I downloaded the full SP2 from Microsoft, installed with no problems so from my experience I say "Go for it" let's face it SP2 is not going to change no matter how long you wait, sure there may be patches to SP2 but then I will deal with them as they are produced.

:) :D

Paul

5. 2004/08/28
    CaptainBart Lifetime Subscription

CaptainBart Inactive

Easy install....no internet afterwards

I 1st uninstalled all firewalls/virus scan software (McAfee) then changed to auto update. Everything went well. Install was no problem. After update I was unable to browse the internet except for my ISP, Yahoo and Google. Could not go to any other site. I tried all settings, even disabling built in firewall. Finally had to restore back to "Pre Sp2 ". I liked all the new features but needed to get onto the web. :(

6. 2004/08/28
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Uninstall them or disable them?

Regards - Charles

7. 2004/08/28
    charlesvar

I had no problems and the system runs better. Did get rid of the Security Center tray icon, annoying as hell.

Regards - Charles

8. 2004/08/28
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

No problems here. Everything works as it should.

9. 2004/08/28
    Bursley

Bursley Well-Known Member Alumni

I installed SP2 on all of my XP systems. The only problem that I have is with my corporate XP laptop. SP2 no longer works well with some of my corporate applications.

10. 2004/08/28
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

I didn't upgrade, that is, I didn't apply SP2 to my existing XP Pro SP1.

I slipstreamed SP2 to my Slipstreamed XP Pro SP1 CD.

Then did a clean install, changing from using Fat32 to NTFS.

The only problem I'm having is an extremely rare jumping up and down of web pages as my mouse cursor is moved. I haven't tied it to Mozilla or IE yet. It's just too random.

I had it with SP1 so nothing to do with SP2 install. :)

11. 2004/08/28
    mopar Lifetime Subscription

mopar Well-Known Member

Xp Home upgrade to SP2, had no problems all went well.
    Was about 2 hours start to finish.

Only problem is booting up seems slower.

mopar

12. 2004/08/28
    charlesvar

Have seen that complaint a lot. Try shutting AU off,thru the Control Panel if you don't want to shut the Service down completely - it wants to connect to the MS servers right off the bat and have read that if the MS site is busy, there's a timeout problem affecting bootup time.

I shut AU service off, that's the way I had it before SP2, and I went thru the Services post SP2 and turned a lot of them to manual.

Regards - Charles

13. 2004/08/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

No real "problems ". Just a few annoyances. The connection to my ISP was cut, but I solved that with a Local Connection "Repair ". There are a few changes in the Internet Options|Security settings, so these should be reviewed. Most annoying was that Windows Messenger was reinstalled. So was DirectX9.0c. (My video card cannot use that, but have not seen any problems yet.) And while not automatically installed, Windows Media Player 9.0 was downloaded and then offered the first time I used WMP (which was v8 before the SP2 installation).

14. 2004/08/28
    mopar Lifetime Subscription

mopar Well-Known Member

Thanks Charles I'll try that.

mopar

15. 2004/08/28
    dobhar Lifetime Subscription

dobhar Inactive

No problems at all...just a minor issue with Security Center not liking my NAV2004 but Symantec posted fix via LiveUpdate. Now all is happy happy! :D

16. 2004/08/28
    shortgal10

shortgal10 Inactive

mine was a nightmare

I finally got it downloaded after three tries, but I forgot to turn off my registry compression program, so after it installed, it froze on reboot and I had to reinstall windows. Oh, God. and put back in all my programs. :(

I started at 8:00 pm and finished most of it by 5:00 am next day. I was wore out.

but now it seems to be working fine, all my programs my anti-virus, my system mechanic by Iola, and my registry clean program and my Sims are working fine now.

but I am having one little problem, I cannot get the free online games from msn.games zone to load, you know how that they put in all that security stuff and when you get an e-mail in your outlook express, instead of pictures you get those little red x's and you have to click on the yellow bar to allow the pictures or ads to show up in your e-mail, well, when I try to load the game alchemy, it has a red x and there is no where to click, I turned off the built in pop up stopper but it did not help.
    But if that is the only problem I ever have with it, I can live with it.

I like that instead of having that long list of hot fixes in your add-remove programs all I have in there now is my programs and something that says sp2, it combines them all in one. Cool :)

one more thing, I changed from Norton to AVG, do you think it protects as good as Norton? thanks

17. 2004/08/29
    D.Arbib

D.Arbib Inactive

SP2 problems

Two problems so far with SP2

1. My browser "BTOpenworld.com" wouldn't install at all and they issued a patch to install befire installing SP2. Removing SP2, installing the patch an then re-installing SP2 was a disaster and had to re-install everything.

2. I use Freeview with TechnoTrend's software USB 217a. I find that there are major problems when using full screen -the 'Esc' facility to return to default results in a smallpicture with the standard note "Windows Exploer cannot find this page" under the picture. The only way to get out is by using Cntrl/Alt/Del. No patch yet available.

18. 2004/08/30
    miniB

miniB Inactive

I was very worried about installing SP2 and this is the first major change to XP I have had (SP1 was already out when I got XP) I installed it on my main PC and on my laptop. Turned off the security monitor thing and think I will continue to manually go to Windows updates rather than using the auto feature.

I had to add my firewall (will be updated soon I hope) to be excluded from DEP plus another program I have installed. I also updated Nero with a big patch. Apart from these little things so far I think everything else is working and I really should not have been so worried about the install as I was :eek: Next computer is a friend's one (now that is scary as I hope everything will run smoothly when it is not my own computer)

19. 2004/08/30
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Maybe I should have voted for "Some Problems ". In addition to the expected Security changes, I found two others this weekend.
    1) SP2 blocked WordPad from opening old .doc files created by (and transferred from) a Win98 PC. The solution is not at all obvious
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=34531
    2) SP2 changed a Registry tweak that allows me to right click on a Favorite and "Open in a New Window ". Lord knows why. This ought to be included in Windows, anyway. (You have it in History, for example.) Just an annoyance that it isn't.

20. 2004/08/30
    charlesvar

This is from the latest Langa Newsletter:

A PC World article also cites a small, anecdotal survey among highly
    experienced users who reported that SP2 hoses about 15% of PCs it's
    installed on--- a huge number. (
    http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/000167.html

I also advised people I consult with to hold off on SP2 until I come back from vacation - end of September. Making a lot of phone calls advising changing AU to notify before downloading SP2 and to ignore it.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this Service Pack is just too big. Would have been much better to break it up into digestable chunks. The most obvious division would have been the security features from the rest.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2004/08/30
  21. 2004/08/30
    Newt

Newt Inactive

"hoses" from the Langa article - I wonder if that means it trashes them beyond repair or causes minor problems or something in between.

As to breaking it into chunks - Microsoft has been beaten up pretty badly by large customers for the frequency of updates they've been putting out. Maybe they were just gun shy about doing the SP2 thing in chunks lest they get bruised some more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.