1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Firewall V Firewall SP2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paulbristow, 2004/08/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/26
    paulbristow

paulbristow Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have just installed SP2 from a downloaded file (not windows update) and so far I have had no problems all seems to be okay, my question is about the XP Firewall, I have McAfee Personal Firewall Plus V5.0 API Version 5.0.5.7 and also I have the XP Firewall turned on and I am not getting any conflicts but are there any issues with both turned on, should I turn the XP Firewall off? or keep both running as a double whammy protection.

SP2 also reports the following version number:
    Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 (Service Pack 2) is this correct?

Paul

2. 2004/08/26
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Good that not have issues...yet! Best to use only one software firewall.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/26
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

I have a contrarian POV. Not running SP2 yet.

I have both ICF and Sygate running together for almost 2 years and had ZA Pro running before that along side of ICF. Never had a problem w/ either one.

Regards - Charles

5. 2004/08/26
    dobhar Lifetime Subscription

dobhar Inactive

I also had both ICF and Sygate (Free ver) running together for quite awhile then changed when I got a Linksys router. I then ran the router (hardware firewall) with Sygate. Worked quite well.

Since upgrading to WinXP SP2 I now only use the WF and my router...have been thinking about Sygate again but still thinking.

6. 2004/08/26
    charlesvar

Hi Kent,

I want a firewall that I can have the option to block outbound and has rule making ability.

My running ICF w/ 3rd party firewalls started because when I installed XP, it was running by default - this was in Feb. of '02 - and I wasn't aware of it. I installed ZA Pro as a matter of course. I was running ZA on WinMe and familiar with firewall characteristics, especially the "chatty" log.

That "chattinesss" was absent on the XP installation, and that's how I tumbled on to the fact that ICF was running. Not experiencing any problems, just left it that way.

Regards - Charles

7. 2004/08/27
    charlesvar

Have been running with SP2's Firewall and Sygate for a few hours, can't detect any problems with doing that.

SP2's firewall did shut itself off, I turned it back on. Going to run with SP2's firewall alone and visit test sites to see how it does once I get thru checking the changes to Windows - going to be awhile :)

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2004/08/27
  8. 2004/08/27
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Yep.

Paul,
  9. 2004/08/28
    paulbristow

paulbristow Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the feedback, turned off XP firewall will use McAfee as carried out tests and all passed I have been using McAfee for 2 years and I have not had one problem (none that I am aware of).

I tried XP Firewall on its own and it never reported any new software changes (trying to access my system) but when I put the McAfee Firewall back on it picked up applications trying to access my system so I feel a lot happier when I see reports.

XP Firewall = 0/10
    McAfee = 10/10

Paul

10. 2004/08/28
    charlesvar

Hello Paul,

WF doesn't flag apps outbound per se, what it flags are apps wanting "server" rights. On my system so far, that's Msn Messeger.

Regards - Charles

11. 2004/08/30
    charlesvar

Update on WF and 3rd party firewalls.

Can't keep WF running - keeps shutting itself down. I think I know how it does that, or rather how sygate does it. I got a whole raft of .dll change permission/deny requests after SP2 install, and one of them was for Sygate, and that's how I think it's done.

So I don't know whether I'm going to keep fighting this or not.

Regards - Charles

12. 2004/09/01
    charlesvar

Got Windows Firewall and Sygate working together

Problem resolved, WF will stay running with Sygate.

Installed an update to Sygate and this time, WF didn't shut down. So by that evidence, installing a firewall after SP2 circumvents the shutdown, at least with Sygate anyway.

Wonder if uninstalling/re-installing the originial Sygate would have worked - that would have been the next attempt to make this work?

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2004/09/01
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.