1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Server 2000 Nightly Backup

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by scott6480, 2004/08/23.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/23
    scott6480

scott6480 Inactive Thread Starter

I have a scheduled job set to run a nightly tape back up using the windows tape software. I checked the tape to make sure everything is running properly and I noticed it was not running nightly.

What is the best solution to nightly backups? I'm not oposed to a different program if there is a better solution out there.

What are you using? or what setting am i missing that is preventing this from running?

2. 2004/08/23
    Newt

Newt Inactive

The usual cause of scheduled tasks not running is if they are set up with an account that lacks rights to do the deed. They are horribly silent about the failure too.

Check your event logs for details on the failure to run.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/24
    scott6480

scott6480 Inactive Thread Starter

Ok, Simple mistake of not setting the password for the event. Fixed that, now I watched the event run and it will bring up winnt backup but then it won't start. If I want to backup to run i have to hit the start backup button for anything to happen.

What am i missing to get this to fully automate? :confused:

5. 2004/08/24
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Take a look at some of the articles linked on this Labmice page.

Newt,
  6. 2004/09/03
    Greg Golden

Greg Golden Well-Known Member

Scott,
    For what it's worth, I use a program called NTI BACKUP NOW v.3. It was not expensive and it runs every night. It does a pretty good job of tackling the decisions associated with this task. In my case, I run the program on one of my workstations, pulling the data from the LANserver and putting the compressed backup files on the workstation. Then, several times a week, I copy the files to CD or DVD at the workstation. Depending on your luck with Windows Backup, you may decide to try this. GG.

7. 2004/09/03
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Hard to beat Veritas.

Not cheap but nothing else will replace a total disaster recovery especially if the whole facility or server is lost and you need to start from scratch.

8. 2004/09/04
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

I use Veritas too. One warning though - the warnings. It has a horrible habit of popping a warning up and suspending the job until you manually click on OK. The most annoying one is the warning prompting you to carry out a regular clean. I'm happy for it to prompt me to clean the drive, but not for it to stop the backup just to tell me a tape clean is due. It also tends to expect you to follow a strict cycle of media and if you don't you get hit with warnings like "Do you wish to overwrite this scratch media" waiting for you in the morning, rather than a completed backup. The prompt has an OK and CANCEL button, but not the actual answer "OF COURSE I DO - THAT'S WHY I PUT IT IN THE $%$£%£$ DRIVE ".

Most people just want to know that if you stick a tape in it one day, that a backup will be written on to it that night. Getting Veritas Backup Exec to do that takes a little work to track down all the warning and turn them off. However, once you get it set up the way you want it to work, it is very reliable.

There is also a personally backup program (BackUp MyPC) which is in effect a cut down version of the full Backup Exec. In many ways it is simpler to use, and very good for backing up personal PCs. It won't install on a server.

9. 2004/09/04
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Yep I have a copy and love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.