1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

SP2/Automatic Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zanetti, 2004/08/19.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/19
    zanetti

zanetti Inactive Thread Starter

I have always had my Windows Update to download, but ask when I want to install.

I almost always wait because I have a bunch of stuff open.

I have always been able to go to Windows Update and install the file.

I got the notice this morning and I must have clicked install later.

Now, the Windows Update page has changed. I can't install the update - says if automatic it will install automatically - only way to get it.

I tried changing the settings to download today at a later time, but nothing happenen.

So, did I miss my chance?

I have shut down a couple of times, but the Windows Update notification does not appear.

Is it possible the file downloaded and is on my computer somewhere?

Does anyone know the file name?

Thanks.

2. 2004/08/19
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello zanetti,

There's folder on your HD called WUTemp - it's hidden - so turn on view "hidden files/folders" in the Folder tools > view.

If MS downloaded a file, should be in there. I don't know what the name of the SP2 install file is. Most likely it will have SP2 in the name.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/19
    zanetti

Sp2/wutemp

There's nothing in my WUTemp folder.

Thanks

5. 2004/08/19
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

zanetti--Same thing happened to me this AM when I booted. I clicked to start the download (I thought, but maybe I misread). The window disappeared and there was no sign of anything happening. Now it is five hours later (I have cable so even SP2 should have downloaded by now) but the only thing I have in C:\WUTemp is a file "WindowsXP-KB824105-x86-ENU-express.EXE ". I have no clue when I got it (although it does say "Created" on the day three weeks ago when I got this PC) or if it is installed. However, it is only about 225KB in size and is clearly related to a Windows Update of about a year ago (Net Bios).
    So maybe we will have to wait for the CD. Or maybe we will get another invitation tomorrow.

6. 2004/08/19
    WhitPhil

WhitPhil Inactive

Go to Start > Windows Updates and head to the MS site.
    You may have received the Version 5 update which turns auto on.

From the initial screen (right side), select "Pick a Time to install updates ", then from the next screen More Options, and check what has been selected.

7. 2004/08/19
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

You might also look in Program Files for (hidden) Windows Update folders. In a subfolder named v4 or v5 you may find the installation files if download has completed.

I have my autoupdate set to notify before downloading and again before installing. I then copy the updates from that folder before installing them so that I can collect the updates on a CD.

The file probably has "835935" in the name, just as the full version.

Last edited: 2004/08/19
  8. 2004/08/19
    zanetti

At windows update there is now a box that reads "Automatic Updates" on.

Choose date and time: it is set for "everyday 3 am. "

Under More Options: "Download updates for me, but let me choose to install "

I don't know where the everyday at 3 am came from, but the option to download is the way I had it set before.

I can't find the file. I found a V4 Windows Update folder, but there is just one small file with the .xml extention. I also searched for a file with 835935.

MS says setting automatic update is for future updates.

Today, I tried setting the day and time for an hour later, but it didn't work. But, I don't remember if I changed that setting under more options.

I took another look. That first screen always has "everyday 3 a.m." If I change the day and time there, it reverts back to the same - everyday.. I have to change it under more options for it to stay. Maybe that is what happened today.

I can't believe this - never had a problem with updating before.

Any suggestions?

9. 2004/08/19
    zanetti

Automatic Update/SP 2

I think I have found the answer to my question.

I think it was Windows Update V5 that downloaded and installed this morning - not SP 2. I found a folder named Software Distribution with today's date and files related to Windows Update.

And, I read that MS is staggering the distribution of SP2.

I assume the SP 2 update will be available later.

10. 2004/08/20
    bumpaw

bumpaw Inactive

I have the same thing here but if you go to add and remove programs you see 15 SP2 hotfix items. I triggered the download yesterday morning from Automatic Update and have been looking for a Begin Install indication ever since. We have a good DSL connection. :confused:

11. 2004/08/20
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I'm sure You know that SP2 in the folder name for a hotfix indicates that it will be included in SP2 and not that it's a hotfix for a SP2 installation.

Hotfixes issued after SP2 will be denoted SP3 (or whatever but not SP2).

Just in case ...... :) ......

Christer

12. 2004/08/20
    bumpaw

bumpaw Inactive

Yep that's understood, but I'm still left wondering why the lag between download and install. It should be complete or at least resumed the download this morning.

13. 2004/08/20
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

zanetti--I would like to think that your idea that that notice was for the new v5 URL for XP Windows Update. But I noticed that when I click on Windows Update, I first show the old v4 URL and then a redirect to the v5 URL. So I wonder.
    Also no new notice/invitation this AM on reboot for an SP2 download.
    And if SP2 has downloaded in the background, it sure is doing a good job of staying undetected. :confused:

14. 2004/08/20
    bumpaw

bumpaw Inactive

Jim, Do you have a presence of SP2 in Add and Remove programs like I do?

15. 2004/08/20
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

bumpaw--I see nothing about SP in my Add/Remove window. Lots of Windows XP hotfixes but no SP hotfixes.

16. 2004/08/20
    WhitPhil

WhitPhil Inactive

Jim:
    XP Pro?
    Updates will start filtering in next week.

17. 2004/08/20
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

WhitPhil--No, XP Home.

18. 2004/08/20
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Jim, how have set up the Auto Update options?

I don't know for sure, but I would think something that large would make it's presence felt :)

Regards - Charles

19. 2004/08/20
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

charlesvar--I had it set at "Notify me but don't download or install ". As of today I changed to "Download automatically but don't install" in hopes I will get another crack at it.
    Really no big deal. I can wait for the CD or whenever MS offers it at Windows Update. But it is frustrating to have clicked on "something" (I think it was the button at the bottom left) on that notification window and then have nothing happen. :(

20. 2004/08/23
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

The good news, I hope, is that I got my automatic SP2 download this evening and installed it manually. Found several changes I had to learn about by hit or miss. The most serious was that my internet connection was wiped out. With luck I reestablished it. I am sure there will be more surprises, but at least I seem to have a functioning PC. (I am going to have to figure out how to disable Windows Messenger again. Cannot find that setting in Outlook Express.)
    I also read somewhere that SP2 has an Update already, but was not offered it when I went to the Update site. Perhaps whatever I downloaded today is already patched. Or maybe that info was erroneous.

Last edited: 2004/08/23
  21. 2004/08/24
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

WelshJim,
    If you have no use for Windows Messenger:
    Start> Run> paste
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and it's gone! Poof!

Johanna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.