1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 Review

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Arie, 2004/08/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/10
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

After long delays, Microsoft finally released Windows XP Service Pack 2 to the public. I've been running this release on my computers since the final version was made available to the beta testers on the 7th of August. So what's this Service Pack 2 all about?

Read Full Article

Arie,
  2. 2004/08/10
    giles

giles Inactive

Hi Arie.

Thank you for the article. It was very well done and obviously involved quite a bit of research.

I'm concerned that Microsoft hasn't addressed (unless I missed it) programs that initiate connection from a computer OUT to the web, such as spyware.

There are quite a lot of programs that are installed along with games, etc., that send information gathered on a computer out to someone on the web. Keystroke capture programs and programs that steal the browser password storage files in particular.

I use Avast and Outpost for anti-virus and firewall. Any program that tries to connect out to the web has to be authorized by me through Avast.

If Microsoft hasn't addressed this area I think they missed the boat again. I haven't delved into SP2 as I usually wait about 6 months to see what the rest of the world does with updates. I think I have more protection with what I have at present.

giles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/10
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

I've installed it and like a few of the features, such as the pop up blocker, but find the firewall to be a bit of a pain.

Seems IBM is hesitating yet.

5. 2004/08/10
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Daizy,

In what way?

Regards - Charles

6. 2004/08/10
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

I had a bit of trouble shutting it off, and keeping it from turning itself back on after every reboot.

7. 2004/08/10
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Maybe everyone knows this already
    A quote from MSKB 878461 (I changed the order of the paragraphs, since I thought it would be more understandable. Please go to MSKB 878461 for full details.)

"When the value of the FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN subkey is set to 1, the following restrictions are enforced by Windows XP SP2 for both Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Windows Explorer:
    Disallow ActiveX.
    Disallow binary behaviors.
    Disallow Java.
    Prompt for script running.
    Prompt for cross-domain data

Note By default, the value of the FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN subkey is set to 1 in Windows XP SP2.
    To (un)do this, follow these steps:
    Quit all Windows-based programs.
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_
    LOCKDOWN

In the FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN subkey, follow these steps:
    Click Iexplore.exe.
    On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    Click Explore.exe.
    On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    To quit Registry Editor, click Exit on the File menu.
    Restart Windows. "

Good grief. Those default settings would hinder access to many sites, including Windows Update.
    As someone has suggested elsewhere, it seems necessary to check all settings after installing SP2.

P.S. I also heard somewhere that getting SP2 through Windows Update (rather than the SP2 download site) will usually result in a smaller download. Can't remember whether WU tailors the Update to your PC or whether it was something else, like an incremental install over SP1.

Last edited: 2004/08/10
  8. 2004/08/11
    Arie

Yes, I've addressed that in my article. MS is actually encouraging people who only have 1 PC to upgrade NOT to download the 266 MB Network Install file. A typical XP install will require around 75 MB to upgrade to SP2. If you are running an SP2 preview, the upgrade would only be around 30 MB to download.

Arie,
  9. 2004/08/12
    Newt

Newt Inactive

For some reason they made a business decision with the new firewall to only deal with inbound traffic. They also try to make it clear that the firewall is not intended to replace a good 3rd party statefull firewall.

However, there are lots of good things under the hood - places and ways they've hardened the OS to make it less vulnerable. Those plus the observed general speed up of the PCs operating make the SP worthwhile and especially for folks who don't know that much about how to protect themselves.

I've always been one of the 'wait 6 months' folks myself but with all the attention security and this SP are getting, I think you can shorten that to more like a month or maybe two.

Newt,
  10. 2004/08/13
    Arie

For 'novice' users I'd say a day or manybe two is more then enaugh :D

Arie,
  11. 2004/08/13
    shadowhawk

shadowhawk Inactive

I'm waiting AT LEAST a month. And how do you disable that XP firewall? I don't need their krappy firewall. I have my Kerio.

12. 2004/08/13
    lforster

lforster Inactive

There's a new entry in Control Panel for 'Windows Firewall' and you can turn it off in there. I've decided to give their firewall a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.