1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

XP QuickLaunch gone (Poof) Everytime..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Beck, 2004/08/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/09
    Beck

Beck Inactive Thread Starter

Hello folks!

I could use a hand here as even escalations to Microsoft have not helped. I use the XP Professional Quicklaunch on my toolbar for several applications. I generally never turnoff my computer or log off so I do not know when this began. The problem is NOW with every logout, restart or power off the quicklaunch toolbar does not come back into view unless I manually re-enable it by right clicking the taskbar and re-checking quicklaunch. The default is set to have it enabled on the Taskbar and Startmenu properties. All the shortcuts exist in C:\Documents and Settings\MYUSERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. Had Microsoft on the phone for 2 hours for a $35.00 fee but heck I am getting really tired of re-enabling and re-sizing this quicklaunch as I now log in and out alot more and power off the pc as well more often. I have scanned for virus and used Ad-Aware 6.x to remove all spybots but no luck.

Any Idea's would GREATLY be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Beck,
  2. 2004/08/09
    MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Geek Member

Beck,

First of all, welcome to the board! I was having the same problem with my XP Home edition, this is what worked for me. Go to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon

Scroll down to the Userinit entry, on the right side, and make sure the value is:

C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe

If not, change it. Exit out and your quick launch will stay on. This helped me. I haven't had a problem since making this change.

Mike

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/09
    Newt

Newt Inactive

5. 2004/08/10
    Beck

Beck Inactive Thread Starter

Thank you BOTH!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin\C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe did the trick!

Thanks very much as this was as time consuming as it was bothersome.

Best Regards,

Beck ;)

Beck,
  6. 2004/08/10
    MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Geek Member

Beck,

Glad to hear that it helped and thanks for the update!

Mike

7. 2004/09/24
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Hi All: Well, I've been wrestling with the same problem ever since installing Service Pack 2. And, my registry reads: C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe, I checked the Kelly's page Newt posted, but don't see anything there that seems to solve this problem. Am I missing something???

Martin

8. 2004/09/25
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Catastrophy is jealous and angry again? What did you do, Martin, buy a new truck?

Martin, when you change it to get it back, are you going through Taskbar/Start Menu properties, or just right clicking in the taskbar and going to toolbars? Do you have "Lock the Taskbar" ticked?

Johanna

9. 2004/09/26

martinr121 Inactive

Hey Johanna: Good to hear from you. She is not jealous. She loves me! Would never do anything to deliberately hurt me. ;)

She showed me her control panel and taskbar settings, nothing amiss there! I had been using right click on start menu for settings, locking the toolbar each time, but after reading your post, I cleared the settings in control panel, applied, reset for my preferences, applied, shut down, restarted, and lo and behold, she showed me her quick launch bar, set just the way it had been before it disappeared! I was so pleased I gave her a hug. :D

Typically, you know her better than I do. So thanks for the hint and insight into her personality. :p

Off topic: Did you build your new machine?? If not, send those rotten kids off to boarding school and have at it. :D

Martin

10. 2004/09/26
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Hi Martin :)

Your entry, as shown above,
    shows a comma at the end of it. Did you put that there in writing your post, or does the registry have it also?

11. 2004/09/26

martinr121 Inactive

Hi Dave: Just checked registry, the comma is there.

Martin

12. 2004/09/26
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Well, when I first saw your post with the comma on the end, some bells went off. There was some confusion at one point as to whether it was a good thing or bad thing. Alot of baddies, as well as some good things, will add themselves to that key after the comma, effectively starting themselves at logon. Did a bit more research and see that the confusion has been resolved. The comma is the default setting. Without the comma, HijackThis shows the entry because it is not the default setting. Either way, it's not a problem. Some quotes by the experts follow....(just for a bit more info :) )
    Sorry, this doesn't help with your quicklaunch problem. :rolleyes:

13. 2004/09/26

martinr121 Inactive

The quick launch is fixed. I'm not even sure why or how though, just re-appeared on boot. I had not used the control panel to set the options prior to Johanna's post, looking in there, I found the settings as they should be for the quick launch to appear, but it was not, So just for the heck of it, I changed the setting to not have quick launch, applied it, then reset to have it appear, applied it, even though I had done this with the right click on start menu. Just to check, I shut down and re-booted and sure enough, the quick launch appears.

Seems strange that control panel held correct settings that did not work, then changing them back and forth fixed the problem, but as near as I can tell, that is what fixed quick launch.

Martin

P.S, I'm going to re-boot now to see if it has stayed fixed, I won't post back if it does, but will if it does not.

14. 2004/09/26
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Martin, glad QL came back! Yep, I got the new machine...she's sweet. She hasn't frozen yet- not even when I downloaded and burnt rap and hip hop cds for a teenager. (I thought that would be a crucial test!) Yeah, I know Catastrophy- remember, I'm female, too! LOL :D

Johanna

15. 2004/09/26
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Glad to hear you got it sorted Martin. You know comps, sometimes 'forget' what you've set them to do, and toggling 'reminds' them.

Johanna,

You are brave! I do alot of questionable things with my comp, loading spyware and viruses to figure out what needs to be done helping folks remove them from their own comps, etc, but even I won't risk burning rap. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.