1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

CPURocket Interloper

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by NormanS, 2004/08/01.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/01
    NormanS

NormanS Inactive Thread Starter

How do I get rid of an interloper window that pops up at every bootup?

The interloper asks if I want to install CPURocket. Each time I have opted for the "cancel" option.

This window appeared for the first time at bootup immediately following my last Windows 2000 security update three days ago.

Is it possible that this interloper got bundled with Microsoft's update program? And if it was not bundled, then how did it get past Zone Alarm Pro and my router?

CPURocket purports to be a free program to double the speed of a CPU. Not surprisingly, it comes with adware. Reviewers of this program at Download.com are over 90% negative about it.

2. 2004/08/01
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

It's unlikely it was bundled with a Windows update. As far as I know, Alexa is the only spyware that shows up after a Windows update.

If you haven't already, download, install, immediately update and then run Spybot and/or Ad-Aware. Let them remove any spyware found.

Hopefully, one or the other will find whatever's causing the ad to open and remove it.

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/01
    NormanS

Thanks Miz for your reply.

I did run Spybot, but it did not find anything; after all, I have NOT yet installed CPURocket.

I also looked for CPURocket in the Registry, but nothing showed up.

A search on my C drive also revealed nothing.

5. 2004/08/18
    Statue

Statue Inactive

any progress?

Hi, I'm suffering from the same annoying pop-up and was wondering if any progress had been made to solve it. I've tried various anti-spy/adware packages but none seem to find the source (though lavasoft ad-monitor does register a tracking cookie at the same time as the pop-up window is closed). Even a system restore didn't get rid of it which is weird.

Have u visited www.cpurocket.com? It has no support, no posting board, nothing other than a screenie of the app and a download link. Pretty much typical of evil spyware/adware stuff.

I have contacted lavasoft support to inform them of the issue and hopefully they will kill this irritating scum in their next build of adware. I will update if such occurs or if I figure out any other way of stopping it, please do the same.

6. 2004/08/18
    NormanS

Yes, there is a successful procedure to get rid of the CPURocket popup:

Go to your Startup menu, locate Netturbo and right click on it, then click on Delete. This will take Netturbo off your Start Up menu, and should stop the pop ups you are seeing, and this will not in any way impair the operation of Netturbo other than its ability to check for updates.

I got this solution from Tech Support at SoftwareOnline.com, Inc., in response to my request for a solution to MemTurbo Tech Support (an affiliate of NetTurbo).

I tracked down CPURocket to MemTurbo through a program called InfoRapid Search & Replace. This program is fantastic. Try it; it's free for non-commercial use. See http://www.inforapid.com.

None of the following categories of programs were effective against CPURocket: Registry Cleaners, Anti-Trojan, Anti-Spyware, and Erasors of IE's Temporary Internet Files.

Yes, the erasors would erase Temporary Internet Files, but one file, memturbo[1], would invariably get restored at bootup through the NetTurbo Starup link.

On account of this and many other problems with IE, I've joined the ranks of those who have switched to Firefox as a default browser. Firefox is sensational! And it is not version 1.0 yet.

7. 2004/09/07
    ehojlund

ehojlund Inactive

CPURocket

I followed your advice on getting rid of the CPURocket popups, but it did not help, as every time I boot up the Netturbo programme is back in my Startup menu.
    I have emailed the company, Shareware Online, but have received no reply so far. Have also not yet received a reply from IE support!!

Liz

8. 2004/09/07
    NormanS

CPURocket

Liz,

NetTurbo DOES NOT HAVE TO RUN to do it's work, so DO NOT START IT.

All NetTurbo does is change settings that speed up your internet connection. Once these settings are changed, NetTurbo's work is done!

If you do start NetTurbo, it will place itself back in the Startup menu and will bring back CPURocket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.