1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

System Tray Icons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jslow, 2004/07/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/07/27
    jslow

jslow Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,
    Somehow the double arrow pointer at the system tray has disappeared.
    This is what you click on to see the hidden icons in the system tray.

Also, quite often, various icons disappear from the system tray disappear. In the past we would repair Internet Explorer 6 and they would return after a re-boot but this method doesn't seem to be working like it did before.

Any suggestions for correcting these problems would be appreciated.

2. 2004/07/27
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Right click on the tack bar and select Properties. Is the HIDE icons button Checked?

Did you know that Windows XP has an option called DeskTop clean up? It removes icons that haven't been used in a while.

Right click on desktop->Desktop tab->Customize button

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/07/27
    jslow

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the reply.

We had the Hide Icons button checked for quite some time now, but we just lost the double ( >> ) arrow to show the hidden icons. It does not show up anymore, even after re-booting several times.

Thanks

5. 2004/07/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

From Kelly's Korner ....

Icons - Notification Area - Chevron Missing

For some users, setting the very first icon to Always Hide, restores the arrow

6. 2004/07/27
    jslow

Hi Pete,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Your suggestion restored the chevron.

We still have problems with missing icons. One in particular is the "Safely Remove Hardware" which we have Behavior marked as "Always Show" but most of the time we want to use this, to disconnect our Digital Camera, it is not available in the System Tray.

Thanks

7. 2004/07/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

There is no need to use 'Safely Remove Hardware' with a digital camera - just unplug it.

By default this will be optimised for quick removal with write caching on the disk (CF card) disabled.

An external hard drive is another matter as write caching will be enabled to improve disk performance - these must (should) be disconnected through 'Safely remove ...'

8. 2004/07/27
    jslow

Hi Pete,

We do have a USB 2.0 External Hard Drive but we normally do not disconnect it. But if we had to, we seldom can find the "Safely Remove Hardware" in the System Tray.

Thanks

9. 2004/07/27
    jslow

Hi Pete,

Just thought we would let you know. The chevron disappeared by itself again.

Thanks

10. 2004/07/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Google brings up 31,500 hits for 'Safely Remove Hardware Icon' !

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Safely+Remove+Hardware+icon

Only these two seem to have some possible relevance for a missing icon - I have not read all 31,500 hits :D - they are both from trusted sources.

http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_resettrayicons.htm

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

The only other suggestion I would make is to run System File Checker ....

Start > Run > type in sfc /scannow - note the space and have your XP CD handy.

11. 2004/07/28
    jslow

Hi Pete,
    Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to add an icon on the Desktop for "Safely Remove Hardware "?

We tried the two links you listed as well as sfc /scannow but none of them seemed to do anything.

We then tried IE 6 Repair function from the Add/Remove Programs and this added all of the missing icons in the System Tray. When we did this before, the icons do not stay in the System Tray for very long. Some of them eventually disappear. Even the ones that we check to Always Show.

Thanks

12. 2004/07/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Not AFAIK - that is a feature of the OS

I hesitate to suggest a Repair as that can go horribly wrong - without any user intervention :(

The long way round workaround is to go into Device Manager > Disk Drives - click on the USB drive > Uninstall when you want to disconnect it.

Beyond that I am bereft of ideas.

13. 2004/07/30
    jslow

Hi Pete,
    Just to let you know, it's been a couple of days now and we still have all of our icons in the System Tray. We were particularly watching the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon and it has remained in the Tray.

We're not sure, but we think the combination of running "sfc /scannow" and repairing IE 6 may have solved our problem.

Thanks to all who replied to our post. :)

14. 2004/07/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thanks for the update - fingers crossed :)

15. 2004/07/30
    miniB

miniB Inactive

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but after running sfc /scannow you will need to re-install one of the updates for XP. I only found this out when I checked Belarc and discovered a red x at the update and it did need to be re-installed. Confirmed it last night as I ran sfc on my laptop the same update was removed = KB828741 worth checking your Belarc report after scanning.

16. 2004/07/30
    Newt

Newt Inactive

miniB - everyone may not have the same problem or they may have others.

SFC (system file checker) was modified starting with Win2K SP3 to not replace system files just because they were a later version than the ones on the CD (or on the hard drive in a cache) so any XP PC should do the same.

However, it can happen that a file from a hotfix/update/patch is damaged and needs replacing and the only available source is the CD with an older version. In that case you will see what you described.

Certainly a good idea to run a utility to check and to then re-apply any needed patches.

17. 2004/07/30
    jslow

Hi MiniB & Newt,

Thanks for the info.

We actually had 3 updates to reinstall. KB828741, Q314147, & Q324096.

18. 2004/07/31
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Just got my new PC with XP on it two days ago, 49 hours of which have been spent reloading a lot.
    Anyway, I am very frustrated by those items in the Systray. Several in there that are meaningless. Got rid of a few through the program, itself. But one I cannot figure out how to remove is Local Area Connection (A network cable is unplugged). I have no network. How can I eliminate this icon?
    And where is a reference to managing the SysTray in Win XP?
    Jim

19. 2004/07/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Welshjim - Welcome to the New World :D Just in time for SP 2 !

To eliminate the LAN icon in the Notification Area (XP speak for System Tray) go to Control Panel > Network Connections and right click on LAN > disable.
    Righr Click on a blank area of the Task Bar > Properties - Taskbar tab > Notification Area.

20. 2004/07/31
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

PeteC--Thanks. Went to Network Connections and disabled that Lan icon. That took care of that.
    But your second suggestion (Taskbar|Properties|Customize) still confuses me. The Current and Past items and the corresponding settings (Hide, Show, etc.) seem at odds with what is actually in the Notification area, and changing the settings does not seem to do anything. I guess I will have to play more with this.
    Did this thread ever resolve the question of a "Chevron" for the Notification area? I have one for the Quick Launch side, but on the right I just have the single big arrow round buttonto show hidden icons. Or is that all there is?

21. 2004/07/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Welshjim,

I am at a disadvantage here as I am running XP in Classic Mode and the Taslbar is more or less the same as in 98. If I choose to hide inactive icons, which I don't, then the chevron appears by the Notification Area. No single arrow round button - that must be a Luna feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.