1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Opening Outlook archived pst file

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by desidoh, 2004/07/04.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/07/04
    desidoh

desidoh Inactive Thread Starter

Hi all - hope you experts can help!

I decided to back up my outlook express e-mails by importing a folder to Outlook and then using the archive function. This created an archive.pst file.

The only problem is that I can't seem to get to my old e-mails open again.

I have used outlook to look for the archived .pst file using view - folders list and pointing this to my archived file. When outlook opens this all my old outlook express folder headings are there but nothing shows in any of the folders.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or I have lost all this data?

I would be very grateful if anyone can help, cheers people!

:rolleyes: Desid

2. 2004/07/04
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

Try File>Import, then "Import from another program or file," then "Personal Folder File (.pst)," point it at your archive folder and finish stepping through the wizard.

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/07/04
    desidoh

desidoh Inactive Thread Starter

Thanx Miz

I tried that - it brings up the sub folders I had but none of the e-mails I tried to save. I'm having the thought that I did something daft when archiving and my have lost my data - unless anyone knows anything different!

5. 2004/07/05
    Newt

Newt Inactive

What file size on the archive.pst? You'll get some compression when archiving but not a huge amount so the file should be fairly large if you archived a bunch of posts.

Newt,
  6. 2004/07/09
    chuckels

chuckels Inactive

Download the MS Outlook Backup Addon from the MS site. It is free. With it you can access .pst files easily as well as backup those files.

7. 2004/07/09
    El Camino

El Camino Inactive

I checked a google. There are a small million of add ons. Could you please give us a specific link? Thanks

8. 2004/07/10
    chuckels

chuckels Inactive

Difficult seeing as you did not provide what flavor of Outlook you are using - and did I say use Google. All you had to do was go to the MS Office Update site and look for the Outlook downloads and addins. The backup addin is the first one listed.

If it is Outlook 2000/2002, try http://office.microsoft.com/search/...C18B64FFECECD9180&CTT=4&Origin=CD010225491033

Remember to paste the url in notebook first. The linebreaks may cause your browser to go blooey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.