1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Archiving emails & reading elsewhere later?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Kittie Cat, 2004/07/02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/07/02
    Kittie Cat

Kittie Cat Inactive Thread Starter

I am saving a lot of emails from my Adoption search I am doing and wonder if there is a way to archive these emails, and possibly open in another application if need be. I can backup my hard drive but where are the emails kept and can I read them in another program for quick reference?

Don't even know if it's possible.... :confused:

Thanks in advance!!

:D

2. 2004/07/03
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/07/03
    Kittie Cat

Thanks Jonesy! While reading that I got sidetracked and am now thinking that Outlook might be better for me, not Outlook Express. Now is Outlook included XP? I've just always use OE! But I like the features of Outlook... is this transferable?

Id love to do this! Pretty neat-o! (sorry to stray but that's the ADD!)

5. 2004/07/03
    dobhar Lifetime Subscription

dobhar Inactive

Unfortunately Outlook (full) comes with MSOffice not XP.

I use Outlook (running MSOffice 2003) 2003 at work (Corporate E-Mail option) and use Outlook (running MSOffice 2000 SR1a) 2000 SR1a at home (Internet Mail Only option).

And yes it is quite easy to archive mail. I just create a folder in my mailbox called Archive and just "drag and drop" the e-mails I want to keep. Once I ready to archive I create a *.pst file as per http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;196492

Alternatively if using the "Internet Mail Only option" you can also copy the whole "Outlook.pst" file.

6. 2004/07/03
    Kittie Cat

I'm glad that's easy! Is it possible to change where the folder is located? Possibly another drive? I cannot stand my OE, maybe I'm retarded but I can't get "rules" to work or the bulk folder is always getting good mail etc... it's irritating!! LOL!! I have MS Works, does it come with that? I'm not home unfor or I would look, but I will take a peek when I get home next week.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

7. 2004/07/04
    mirror

mirror Inactive

You can either get Outlook from Office or buy a standalone Outlook. It is not included in XP, Works,...

8. 2004/07/04
    nstam

nstam Inactive

archiving Emails and reading elsewhere

I archive my emails very easily. First, make a folder in "My documents" called "Emails ". Next, in Outlook Express, modify the menu bar to show an icon labeled "save as" (this is one of the available options in customize the toolbar area). You can then save any email you want to keep to the folder you made (and you can make subfolders within that one to further segregate the emails and classify them).
    I then burn this folder to a CD at regular intervals in case of a computer crash.
    I find this very simple, and have been doing this for several years. Good luck!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.