1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Problem trying to connect an ADSL modem to a hub

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by eisenerg, 2004/06/30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/06/30
    eisenerg

eisenerg Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I am trying to connect a Mainstreetxpress 27020 ADSL modem to a Dlink DE-812TP+ hub to share my internet connection (Aliant, NB Canada). When I connect my PC to the hub the link light for that port lights as expected. However, when I connect the modem to the hub the link light does not light up nor does the ethernet link light on the modem light. The modem works if I connect it directly to the PC. There is not an uplink port on the hub. Do I require a crossover cable for this to work? If not, any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

2. 2004/06/30
    Newt

Newt Inactive

You probably would need a crossover cable but that's not your only problem.

If you need to stay with that hub for some reason, you will need the modem connected to a PC that has 2 network cards and ICS so it does the modem sharing and connect that PC to the hub via it's second NIC.

A better solution is to spend around $30-40 US and get yourself a 4 port router/switch. Connect the modem to that along with up to 4 PCs (or 3 PCs and your existing hub and connect more PCs to that) and you will be in business.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/07/02
    eisenerg

eisenerg Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks Newt. I got a crossover cable and was able to connect. This is only a temporary network for now, but when I setup the permenant one I will go with the router/switch.

5. 2004/07/02
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Good that it worked.

Great that you are planning a router/switch.

Newt,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.