1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

HDD Bad sector repairing tool

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by samir, 2004/06/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/06/12
    samir

samir Inactive Thread Starter

can ny body tell me ...which software help me to repair physical bad sector of a Hard disk

__SAMIR

2. 2004/06/12
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Hi Samir: If you are running Windows XP Home, it has a built in tool to attempt to recover bad sectors. I believe Windows 98 has one also, but it has been so long ago, I can't tell you how to access it.

In XP Home, right click "My Computer "
    In the window that opens, click "Disk Management "
    Right click on the suspect drive.
    On the drop down menu click "Properties "
    Click the "Tools" tab
    On the "Error checking" menu, click "Check Now "
    In the window that opens, put a check mark in each box and click "start ".

You will probably get an error message saying the drive is in use, and a question: "do you want to check on the next boot?" or words to that effect.

Click yes and reboot.

On reboot you will get a message that a check has been scheduled with a countdown timer if you want to stop it. Let it run.

This type of checking takes a long time, so don't get impatient. When Windows is finished checking and hopefully repairing, Windows will reboot.

There is a 3rd party tool that comes highly reccomended, "Spinrite 6" by Steve Gibson, available at www.grc.com. The cost is $89.00, which is very pricey, you probably can get a new 80Gig drive for that price. But, if data loss is a problem, it may be worth the money.

I'm sure there are other tools out there, you might want to try and do a search on Google for "hard drive repair tools" and see what turns up.

If this is not an emergency, wait a while and see what other responses you get to this post.

Good Luck,

Martin

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/06/12
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Simpler?

I think a simpler (in windows9x) way is to boot to DOS (F8 > command prompt) and run
    chkdsk c: /f
    at the prompt. substituting the disk letter you wish to check for "c" if necessary.

check this thread also.

Last edited: 2004/06/12
  5. 2004/06/12
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

In Win 95/98 run Scandisk on the "Thorough" setting (see Start>Help>Scandisk). It may have trouble if the bad clusters are in Windows system files, in which case I would try running it in Safe Mode.

I have had success with Norton Utilities which will try to recover all the data and can be run from the CD. It can be slow though.

Try the utilities from the harddrive manufacturers website.

If you have more than one or two bad sectors, back up your data because the drive may be starting to fail.

Matt

Last edited: 2004/06/12
  6. 2004/06/13
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

In Win98, it is better to use this command at the dos prompt, not a dos window.
    Just Restart in Dos Mode, or choose Command Prompt Only at the start up menu.
    scandisk /surface
    The only real repair that is going to happen is the sector will be marked as bad, and it will no longer be used. Anything there may be lost.
    You should be looking for a new hard drive, as in as little as 2 days or 2 months you will have more bad sectors appearing.

7. 2004/06/13
    samir

samir Inactive Thread Starter

HDD Bad sector

Thanks martinr

for your reply...but I want such kind of software through which I can repair "TRACK 0 Bad "...so can you give me the name of such kind of software........

________SAMIR

8. 2004/06/13
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

To repeat myself

I already did that.

Martin

9. 2004/06/13
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

With a bad Track 0, your drive is dead.

10. 2004/06/18
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive

I have to agree with Markp62 if track 0 is bad your out of luck. Its the most important track on a drive and I've not had any luck with any utils to repair that track not even the manufactures utils.

11. 2004/06/18
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

gghartman, out of curiosity, did you get to try a low-level (zero fill) format? I would wonder why that would not reset track 0 to the next track, although it may be required as a factory setting (?). Was the drive recognised at all?

Matt

12. 2004/06/19
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive

Yep, have done the low level a few times but always had problems with the drive after that and usually when the manufacturers diags say replace I just replace. With the cost of drives it makes no sense to me to try and fix one that could come back and bite you just as easy to replace with a new one.

13. 2004/06/19
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

I don't think the BIOS will give you any message re: a drive it can't see, will it?

It certainly can't hurt to try a LL Format, but I tend to agree with gghartman's point about whether it's worth the effort. Guess you pays your money....:D

14. 2004/06/19
    Todo_Trocado

Todo_Trocado Inactive

Recovery Software

Hi! Try this great software it help me a lot!

The manufacturer site -> http://www.binarybiz.com

you have to install it in a new partition or disc (cannot install in the disc/partition you want to recover! )

Good luck, mate :p

15. 2004/06/19
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I was wondering about the HD utility as well, but something has to give you the message, doesn't it? :D

Thanks for the info.
    Matt

16. 2004/06/20
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

TRACK 0 Bad

samir.

This thread may give you some encouragement.

mattman,
    I believe that error message ( "TRACK 0 Bad ") comes from the OS, XP in this case, or whatever program the OS is running, e.g. format. It's not a bios or mbr message.

Last edited: 2004/06/20
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.