1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

need help with .dll missing files

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Penny313, 2004/06/08.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/06/08
    Penny313

Penny313 Inactive Thread Starter

I have been trying to download a game on the internet and i get the following error message...what is it and how do i fix the problem. Any help w ould be greatly appreciated.... :confused:
    says ws2help.dll file is linked to missing export ntdll.dll: ntfs control file

2. 2004/06/09
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hello Penny,

What versions are your ws2help.dll and ntdll.dll? Both should be in c:\windows\system folder.

This sounds like either one or both are
    1]corrupt,
    2]missing,
    3]wrong version; due to an:
    *overwrite
    *expected/requirement of the game
    *a version "loaded and left" in memory by a program previously ran, that is different than the one needed or expected now.

My win98SE's versions, for both ws2help.dll and ntdll.dll is 4.10.1998. After checking Microsoft's dll help/lookup, I have confirmed that this is what they should be unless I was using winME:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp

If it were me, I'd do a "file find" for these puppies and check the versions. Ordinarily I'd rename them *.old and then use SFC.exe to extract new files from the cabs as indicated by the MS link previously provided. (Seems to be Net7.cab for ws2help and Win98_38.cab for ntdll.dll if using win98SE). SFC should be able to find these on the CD in any case. In this case these are static system files and preloaded on bootup so they can't be renamed. Your going to have to rely on SFC's ability to back the old files up before replacing them with new ones. A good idea, since.. should the need to reverse the new overwrites or replacements is to run sfc again and tell it to restore the old backed up versions. If your the real cautious type you could copy these to a floppy before messing with them. This way it becomes a simple matter to boot to a c prompt and copy these back into the system folder should the need arise.

Description of SFC:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;185836

NOTE* Let me know if this worked for ya'. There are a couple of other possible causes and fixes for this problem but, in my opinion, the above (versionitus scenario) should be eliminated as a possibility, first, as this is easily reversed.

To ramble on a bit more... I suppose you have already tried the ol', highly technical, :) "reboot and try it again fix" that, quite often, seems to magically fix a lot.

Last edited: 2004/06/09

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/06/10
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

This does sound like a case of versionitis. Go to Start\Run, type in SFC and press Enter. In the new window that opens, click on Start in that window, your system files will be checked. Have the windows CD handy, or Browse to where you windows setup files are located on your hard drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.