1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

No help and support

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mario, 2004/05/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/05/28
    mario

mario Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have just made a new installation of windows XP SP1 and updated it with windows update wile working I tried to run help and support but a window popped up saying hlpctr.exe could not be found. I opened control panel, administrative tools then services and found help and support and the status was started and startup type automatic. Can you please help and while you're there the reason why I tried to open help and support was because I was not able to start my comp. in safemode by pressing F8 (m/b Asus P4P800-E Deluxe). Thankyou in advance,

mario

2. 2004/05/28
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello mario,

Help&Support: This thread started out as a malware problem and became at the bottom of page two a problem with help & support. See if the suggestion I made of executing hlpctr.exe from it's folder helps - if its there: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=24933

Safe Mode: Did you try the F5 key? Someone (Johanna ?) here on the board mentioned that F8 doesn't work for them either, whereas F5 does.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/05/28
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Yes, Charles, good memory! My system does "Safe Mode" w/ F5, not F8.

There is a registry cleaner than wipes out Help & Support- Easy Cleaner. A fix can be downloaded at Doug Knox.

From Kelly's-Korner (Win XP A-Z) under "H "
    Start Menu/Help and Support doesn't work: Go to Start/Run and type in: helpctr -regserver

To reinstall Help and Support: Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right click and choose install. Have your CD handy.

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
    There are more fixes and info there, too.
    Hope this helps!
    Johanna

5. 2004/05/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The EasyCleaner bug (in 1.7) which knocked out Help & Support was fixed in EasyCleaner 2

6. 2004/05/28
    mario

mario Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank you all, as usual my problem have been solved :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.