1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't set color/screen size

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by pearldrum, 2004/05/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/05/26
    pearldrum

pearldrum Inactive Thread Starter

Hello, I am running Windows 98 SE. The computer was running fine one night (nothing was downloaded, and no changes were made) the next morning, when I started the computer the mouse did not show up and windows acted as if it were in safe mode. The color was set on 16 and the sreen size was 640x480. After restarting a couple times the mouse ended up working, however; I still can not change the color or screen size. It is starting in normal mode, there are no viruses and after restarting when I've changed the settings it still starts with 16 colors and at 640x480. Anyone know what is going on? Thanks.

edit: also, the physical size of the monitor (no idea what to call it) was changed as well. (the adjustment done actually on the monitor)

Last edited: 2004/05/26
  2. 2004/05/26
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

You should try to install the video drivers, yours seem to be corrupt.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/05/26
    pearldrum

Where can I go for drivers? When I click on "add new hardware" the computer freezes and I didn't really see any on microsoft.com

5. 2004/05/27
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

The first thing to try...since it's the easiest...is to go to Control Panel>System>Device Manager tab, find the entry for Display Adapters and click on the plus sign to its left to expand the category. Then double click on whatever is listed there (might be "Standard VGA ").

Then go to the Drivers tab and click on the "Update Driver" button, step through the wizard and see if Windows can find and reinstall the drivers.

Please post back with the results.

Miz,
  6. 2004/05/27
    pearldrum

and...that worked. Thanks alot, this is deffinitly a forum to remember for future problems. :D

7. 2004/05/28
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

You're welcome. It's always nice when the easiest thing works. Thanks for posting back and letting us know you got it sorted out.

Miz,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.