1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Question re changing motherboard battery

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by JohnB, 2004/05/25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/05/25
    JohnB Lifetime Subscription

JohnB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I need to change my motherboard battery as the existing one is 4-5 years old. My question is: Will the BIOS settings revert to default if I just pop the old battery out and put in the new one within a minute or less?

I have the settings written down just in case. :)

Thanks.

Last edited: 2004/05/25
  2. 2004/05/25
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Quite possibly they will.
    Why not leave the computer running while changing the battery?
    You can do this safely, provided you don't drop the battery on some other components. You won't hurt anything, it's just a battery, and isn't in use when the computer is on.
    Last thought: why change it. Does it still work?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/05/25

Thanks reboot, I will leave the computer on while changing. Didn't know for sure that could be done. Yes, the battery still works, but don't know for how much longer. I bought the computer second hand about four years ago so don't really have a good idea of the age of the battery. Figure for the minimal cost of a new one, I will change it and possibly avoid the "dead battery" BIOS situations that can occur. :(

5. 2004/05/26
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

Personally, I'd shut the PC down and then replace the battery. Take a note of the BIOS setting before doing it (yes a little work but there aren't that many screens in the BIOS). However, unless you've been tinkering, I doubt they are much different to the default. Most manufactures stick with the defaults (it would increase their production costs a lot if they had to change BIOS settings (or BIOS chips) on each PC they built). On a machine 5 years old the AGP windows size might be a setting to look out for.

6. 2004/05/26
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Laeving the PC on should be OK, just be carfull what your hands are near, and earth them briefly on the case. No high voltage problems as that is safely in the PSU unit, but carefull of dropping the ***** driver you will probably use to lift the battery out with. The MB contains a lot of low voltage static sensitive CMOS and surface mounted devices.

Last edited: 2004/05/27
    Paul,
  7. 2004/05/26
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

I vote for shutting down. Popping the battery out can easily short something if you lose control of it.

8. 2004/05/26

ReggieB, Paul and Sparrow - thanks for your comments/suggestions. Before I do anything I will see how accessible the battery is then decide if I will turn off computer before changing. I agree, changing a few settings from default in the BIOS is no big deal. I have tweaked a few and have recorded them.

Haven't picked up new batt. as yet so when I get around to changing it will post back what I actually did/did not do. :) Might just try the shut down and change just to see if the BIOS does revert to default.

9. 2004/05/26
    dale442

dale442 Inactive

PLEASE do not replace with the machine on!!
    One tiny slip...goodbye motherboard!!

Go into your BIOS and write down down all the settings. THEN change the battery with the machine turned off AND unplugged. If you have any problems after that, all here will help you get back to where you were.

Dale

10. 2004/05/26

Your warning noted Dale :eek:

Hmmm, maybe if I let slip a little Mrs. will let me get a new computer if I tell her oops! something has gone horribly wrong with our machine and it will cost more to fix than by a new one.:D

Sorry dear, just kidding!!! :eek:

11. 2004/05/27
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Of Topic a little,
    I see that the built in "Net Nanny" list of unallowed naughty words that the BBS Admin staff have implemented, has bleeped out the word I used before driver in the post above. I.E. scroo driver. LOL that is hillarious. how do you say ***** driver using the correct spelling another way. :D :D :D
    I realise that profanity is a big problem on many groups, particularly the Google groups, but really this is over the top. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should have suggested using a hammer? ;)

Or maybe I really meant ***** you! :p :eek:

Last edited: 2004/05/27
  12. 2004/05/27
    giles

giles Inactive

I usually just shut down, jumper another in parallel to the old one, change out the old one for a new one and remove the one jumpered in. The computer never knows it got changed.

13. 2004/05/27
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

A word of caution. If you change the battery with it powered off, make sure you disconnect the power at the mains. When powered down there is still power to the motherboard. You could lose/corrupt your BIOS and have to get another CMOS chip.

Matt

14. 2004/05/29
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Hey Paul: one word or two? IE: ***** driver, screwdriver, or with caps, IE: ***** driver, Screwdriver

No, IE is not Internet Explorer, it is "for example "

Thought I'd test :D

This is fun and funny!

Martin

Edit:

P.S. Anytime I ever stuck my hand inside the case with the machine running, I ******* :D things up, blew something out or had some other disaterous consequences. I vote: TURN IT OFF.

Last edited: 2004/05/29
  15. 2004/06/01
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Off topic ...

Sorry, Martin ... i.e. (id est) means "that is ". "For example" is e.g. (exempli gratia).

16. 2004/06/01

martinr121 Inactive

Just not my day, is it? Thanks for pointing out my ignorance. :(

Martin

17. 2004/06/01
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

'Twas not my intention, Martin. It's a very common error, as I learned the hard way. :eek:

18. 2004/06/01

martinr121 Inactive

Not offended, appreciative. Maybe I should have used: :)

Martin

19. 2004/06/07
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

As I haven't added anything for a while:

I'd recommend using "for example" and "that is" rather than "e.g." and "i.e. ". It is much clear what you are saying and it really isn't that much more typing.

Of course whether you use them with the battey attached is another matter all together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.