1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Guide - How to Buy a DVD-Rewritable Drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Steve R Jones, 2004/05/20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/05/20
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

(by pcworld.com)

Introduction
    Rewritable DVD drives let you store up to 4.7GB on a single disc--nearly seven times the amount of data that fits on a single CD-R/-RW. Like CD-RW drives, rewritable DVD drives support both write-once and rewritable media; the former is best used for creating DVD-Video discs playable on standard DVD players, while the latter is well suited for backing up today's large hard drives.

The Big Picture
    Formats, speeds, compatibility--which to choose? We'll introduce you to the basics of rewritable DVD drives. more

The Specs Explained
    Whether you're shopping for the fastest or the most economical rewritable DVD drive, these are the specifications you'll use to compare the various DVD burners. more

Rewritable DVD Shopping Tips
    If you're ready to buy right now, this list of details to look for at the store will help you get the best drive for your money. more

Top 10 DVD Drives

June 2004 This month's chart is packed with drives that can manage both DVD-R and DVD+R writes at 8X. more

2. 2004/05/20
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Pick a drive, any drive.
    Toss out the software that comes with it, most of it is ****/dumbed down versions of the real thing.
    Better yet, save your money for another month or so, and purchase a new dual-layer dvd writer, and put 9 gig per disk, instead of 4.7 :D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/05/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Buy OEM, save money and pass on the pleasure of dumping the software :D

5. 2004/05/22
    Sarissi

Sarissi Inactive

One point to keep in mind, is that some motherboards refuse to even put out a video signal, let alone POST with some DVD burners. My Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee is a case in point, with the NEC ND-2500A 8X all in one DVD/CD burner. At least when it is connected as an internal EIDE drive. I don't have an external case for the burner, so I am not sure about it that way.

Yet, Gigabyte motherboards have no problems with the burners. Go figure.

I bought this burner as an OEM Bulk unit, and it came with Nero 6 Suite One. I use it with 4X DVD+RWs. I am happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.