1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

keyboard and mouse I/O conflict.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iceolated, 2004/04/29.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/04/29
    iceolated

iceolated Inactive Thread Starter

Dual boot 98/XP Machine working fine last night at shutdown.

Started up XP today and my Intel USB keyboard will not work. No problem, I keep a PS2 keyboard plugged in just for such times. As soon as I touch any key on the PS2 keyboard both the kbd and mouse lockup. Mouse is also PS2. Mouse works fine until keyboard is used. Device managers shows that Keyboard and Mouse have an I/O conlfict on addresses 60h & 64h. That explains why system is locking.

I uninstall the USB keyboard and restart. Same problem with PS2 kbd and mouse on restart - still showing conflict. I get a USB adapter and plug the mouse in USB. Mouse works fine. XP now says it cannot detect keyboard. At this point I have a USB mouse that works fine but no keyboards

I boot into 98 and all items, PS2keyboard, mouse (as PS2 and USB) and wireless keyboard work fine and show no conflicts.

Wireless keyboard and PS/2 keyboard work fine in the bios. Other keyboards work fine in the bios and 98 so this is an XP problem.

Here's what I have done so far.

Tried different keyboard
    Tried different mouse
    Reset Bios
    Removed mouse and keyboard in safe mode.
    Removed wirless keyboard.

Regardless XP will still not see a PS2 keyboard. There is a keyboard entry in device manager but XP says it cannot find the device. This happens for any keyboard I plug in.

If I plug the mouse back in as PS/2 we again get I/O conlicts and mouse will work until keyboard is used.

I have pulled my hair out on this one. I am going to try a repair installation of XP, hopefully that will work. This may take my entire 6-pack of Amber Bock. :D

Any other suggestions on an angle I may have missed?

Cheers,
    ICE

Last edited: 2004/04/29
  2. 2004/04/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Before you attempt the Repair try running System File Checker - may help - or not :(

Cmd > sfc /scannow

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/04/29
    iceolated

Good suggestion Pete. I shall try that first. :)

5. 2004/04/29
    iceolated

Couldn't get keyboard to respons to run sfc.

Tried a repair installation and.....keyboard wouldn't respond to enter the product key. :(

So, formatting 30GB as we speak....might be time to dump XP altogether. :eek:

6. 2004/04/30
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Too late to try this one now, but when you reformat and have a basic system running, go into the device mngr and click on the mouse properties and deselect under the power management tab, Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby ". I (and others) have had similar problems with the mouse freezing with this setting ticked by default. If you update the mouse driver at any time you may have to go in and deselect this setting again.

Paul,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.