1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can I suppress printing of recipients in OE?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Jim78418, 2004/04/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/04/28
    Jim78418

Jim78418 Inactive Thread Starter

From time to time I recieve emails that I print and share with others. As often as not these emails have a recipient list that covers half the printed page or more. What I would like to do is supress printing the "To:" list. I couldn't find an option and thought there might be a registry hack.

I have considered forwarding the message to myself and erasing the previous recipients listed before sending but I would rather find a neat and cool way to get there.

So what say you BBS guru's, can I get there from here?

2. 2004/04/28
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Highlight the stuff you do want to print.

When you do the file~print thing, you want to Print Selection.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/04/29
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Here's a freebie tool for cleaning up the >>> marks and formatting. You can use it to clean up an email you want to forward, or paste your text to Notepad and print from there. StripMail

Johanna

5. 2004/04/30
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Newt--I run OE6. If I highlight part of an email, I am not offered any Print Selection option under File. Just Print. And that prints everything, including the full header.
    I agree with your general concept of highlighting, however. But then I would have to copy and paste into, say, Wordpad and print from there.

6. 2004/04/30
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

I am offered the choice either from the email with the highlighted text, or Control P or File-Print as to whether to print the page or selection. Perhaps it's a printer software difference.

Johanna

7. 2004/04/30
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

I'm pretty sure it's a function of the printer software. With the Epson printer, when I select text in an email message and go to File>Print, hidden down in one corner of the dialog window that opens are several options, one of which is "Selection. "

I was hunting for that option on the system with the Lexmark installed when the husband came home and wanted his computer back. I did manage to poke around long enough to find that if there is a "Selection" or "Print Selection" option in that software, it wasn't obvious at first glance.

Miz,
  8. 2004/04/30
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Thanks, Johanna and Miz. I have a fairly old HP printer (722C). Your explanations are probably the reason.

9. 2004/05/04
    tenbob

tenbob Inactive

Simple Jim. I can only directly speak for Outlook Express, but any worthwhile email client has BCC (Blind Carbon Copy)

In the TO line put your OWN email address and put the rest on the BCC line. Each recipient will only see their own.

10. 2004/05/04
    Newt

Newt Inactive

tenbob - I think he was talkig about receiving a post that may have already been forwarded a time or two and is filled with email addresses.

Otherwise I like and use your trick of putting the majority of addresses in the bcc line.

Newt,
  11. 2004/05/04
    salb

salb Inactive

Highlight the stuff you want to print...

When I do highlight then file>print>selection in OE6sp1, I still get the from:, to:, sent:, attach:, and subject: header. Newt, you gotta a way to supress the header?

12. 2004/05/05
    maggie

maggie Inactive

It has been awhile since I used OE but forward or reply to the message and "then" you can edit the message to print it without all the garbage. You might have to click save also.

13. 2004/05/05
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Maggie, AFAIK, you can't print an unsent message in OE. It's in a limbo "under construction ", according to properties! LOL

Jim from the Great State of Texas:
    By your original question, I think you want to print out the text, period. Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories and right click on Notepad. Make a desktop shortcut that you can drag into your Quick Launch bar. When you want to just print the joke, or whatever, in OE, open the message, highlight the text, press control c (copy) then click on your Notepad icon, put your cursor in the window and press control v (paste). Then print, save, or both. If you want to take out the >>> marks, use the StripMail program I suggested earlier to paste to Notepad.

As a recipient of many forwards, I wish people would take the extra few seconds to delete headers and footers and garbage from their email. For one, I don't want every spambot in the world picking up my email addy, and second, I don't like scrolling three miles to get to the message. When I forward mail, I always use the bcc function that Tenbob mentioned. Some people prefer their privacy, and appreciate it. Plus, it's fewer headers floating around in cyberspace! :D
    Johanna

14. 2004/05/05
    maggie

maggie Inactive

If they insist on using OE then maybe mail it to yourself. What a hassle. Or copy and paste to notepad,etc.. and print from there. I just tried it and it works. I use OE as a newsreader.

15. 2004/05/05
    ivajig

ivajig Well-Known Member

If you want to get rid of the >>>> as well as addresses, highlight text and paste in wordpad instead of notepad. Select edit, replace. enter > in replace line and leave " replace with " line blank, then you can print from there. ;)

Jean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.