1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows XP and pagefile configuration

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Christer, 2004/04/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/04/28
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff Thread Starter

Hello all!

I have installed XP Pro and XP Home on a number of computers. On all of these installations, the installer set the pagefile to minimum 1.5xRAM and maximum 3xRAM. Under normal use, it doesn´t grow beyond it´s minimum size and if it does, it expands in a different location. When the need for expansion is gone, it shrinks back to the single piece, still unfragmented. It is my own personal experience, that this works well.

I have come across several XP-installations with the pagefile managed by Windows. The pagefile has been in several fragments.

Is there any condition, under which the installer chooses to set the pagefile to Windows managed or has it been changed by the person behind the keyboard?

Thanks for Your time,
    Christer

Edited: Sorry, should have been posted in the Windows XP forum.

Last edited: 2004/04/28
  2. 2004/04/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Hi Christer

Can't say that I have seen a Windows Paging File which remains in one piece unless it is of fixed size - generally it fragments if allowed to vary in size. However this quote from Diskeeper Help tends to support your experiences -

"Paging File Defragmentationâ€â€defragments the paging file. Fragmented paging files can slow Windows performance. They can also hurt the effectiveness of Diskeeper, since the unmovable paging file fragments break up the free space on the volume. By defragmenting your paging file, you can help maintain peak Windows performance, and help Diskeeper run better at the same time. After a paging file has been defragmented, it should remain contiguous unless its size is changed

This suggests to me that a fixed size paging file, rather than a Windows managed, variable size file is to be preferred.

Personally I put the Paging File on a separate, dedicated partition - but we went through all thatmany moons ago - remember :D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/04/29
    Christer

Hi Pete!

Yes, I agree but a fixed min and max works well, sort of semi-windows-managed.

My pagefile has not been increased in size since I bought an additional stick of 256 MB RAM.
    With 512 MB the min is 768 MB and the max is 1536 MB.

The problem with a windows managed pagefile is that it shrinks to a very small size when the computer is started. Initially, my pagefile utilization is only some 100-120 MB of the 768 MB and if it was windows managed, it would fragment instantly.

What I don´t understand, is why windows lets it shrink below their own recommended minimum value!

Yup, some discussions are like a spring cold ...... ;) ...... they return every spring!

My intention was not to revive that old megathread but to see if anyone with more experience than me has an answer to this question:

Christer

...... and it now is, thanks Pete!

Last edited: 2004/04/29
  5. 2004/04/29
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Why not find out if you have a problem or not. Get pagefiledefrag from www.sysinternals.com and you can check the status of your pagefile whenever you want to.

If it turns out that a system managed file does frag more than you want, then lock the size. Otherwise, you can let it float.

FWIW, I have used pagefiledefrag since NT4 and it did great things for NT4/2K, workstation and server versions. I loaded it on XP from force of habit but after a few months of always finding a pagefile (and other registry hive files) in a single piece or once in a while, in 2 pieces, I quit using it and let XP deal with things.

Newt,
  6. 2004/04/29
    Christer

Newt,
    thanks for Your input!

I´m not having an issue with my own pagefile, it works well as it was set up by the installer with a minimum size of 1.5xRAM and a maximum size of 3xRAM.

This is how it has been set up on each occasion I have been sitting behind the keyboard during the installation of XP (pro and home).

I have seen installations with a Windows Managed pagefile and wondered if the installer, under certain circumstances, sets it up like that or if it was changed by the person behind the keyboard from the "semi-fixed" variant as per my experience.

Christer

7. 2004/04/30
    reboot

reboot Inactive

"Windows Managed ", is the default.
    Even in XP, with 768 meg or more of RAM, I set a fixed of 768max and min.
    I have never needed more, nor had anything not work because of it's (seemingly) smallish size, and I do a ton of video editing.
    I could see leaving it larger, or windows managed, if RAM was in short supply, and the taskbar overloaded, such as in the namebrand sorts, that insist on loading all the useless junk.
    If you rid yourself of such things as realplayer, nero smartstart, InCD, and all the other background "new version" checkers, rid yourself of the multitude of startup services, then the pagefile probably won't get used near as much, if at all. Although XP seems to dump startup services that are only needed once, directly to the pagefile right after boot, it never get's used after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.