1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Relocating CD image

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tenbob, 2004/03/16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/03/16
    tenbob

tenbob Inactive Thread Starter

An article in the March 2004 PcWorld Pg 90, instructs on how to relocate the CD image that may be created when writing to a CDR so that it can be put in a less-used drive.
    \
    Right clicking on the properties of the drive supposedly gives one that option as : " Enable CD recording on this drive" and unchecking that option

I don't see that option at all

2. 2004/03/16
    Bursley

Bursley Well-Known Member Alumni

I have it on my drive that is a DVD/CDRW. Are you selecting your CDROM that is capable of writing CD's?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/03/16
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

In My Computer right click on the drive, choose properties and then click on the recording tab. If you don't have the recording tab check to make sure the IMAPI CD-Burning Com service is enabled. If it's set to disabled, set it to automatic, reboot and then check to see if you have the recording tab.

5. 2004/03/16
    tenbob

To Bursley - Yes this is a CD DVD RW burning drive that I have used many times

To Zander - Where do I find this IMAPI setting and, if it were not enabled, would I have been able to burn CDs all this time.

6. 2004/03/16
    Zander

That depends. Programs like Nero or EZCD would work fine. Windows built in cd burning feature wouldn't work though. Either way, if you want to check the service, click start>run and type services.msc. In the window that opens scroll to IMAPI CD-Burning service and see if it's set to disabled. If it is, double click on it and where it says startup type, change it to automatic.

7. 2004/03/16
    tenbob

Have not tried it yet, but set it automatic. I love that "in the woods" statement :D

8. 2004/03/16
    Zander

Yes. It's truely worth pondering. :D I did get an answer from Johanna though. Of course, I'm sure you can guess what her answer was. :)

9. 2004/03/16
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

All burning programs have options to save the CD image wherever you want.

If you want to change the location of the folder XP uses for its images, use TweakUI, My Computer, Special Folders.

This has nothing to do with drive properties.

10. 2004/03/16
    Zander

I beg to differ with you Abraxas. You're correct that you can use TweakUI to do this but if you right click on the cd drive in my computer and choose properties>recording you can select the drive you want to use to store the cd image on. The end result is the same thing as TweakUI granted, but it can be done there. ;)

11. 2004/03/16
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

I must be missing something.

The only drive that I have with a Recording tab in Properties is my CD-RW. I had assumed that that setting just enabled burning on that drive.

Edit:

OK. I see where that is done now. Thank you for the correction ;) .

Last edited: 2004/03/16
  12. 2004/03/16
    Zander

Could be or it could be that I'm missing something here. You'll only have a recording tab for cdrw drives but if you click on that tab, just below the enable cd recording line, you'll see a box that allows you to change the drive that windows uses to store the image (or temp cd burning) file on. I took it that this is what tenbob was looking for.

I suppose it's possible that some wouldn't have the option to choose the drive if they only had one drive with only one partition on it. I can't say for sure as I have several and the option is there. I've never really taken note on other computers that I've worked on with only one drive. Guess I'll have to try to remember to take a look next time I've got one to see if it's there. If it is, I'd guess it would be greyed out.

Last edited: 2004/03/16
  13. 2004/03/17
    tenbob

Thanks Everyone

The TweakUI solved the problem for me. I had to create the folder "CD Burning" on the other drive and then it was easily changed. This is a drive that I use for all backups just in case of a drive crash. That did happen to me and I am very cautious now.

I have a boot drive with WinXP and only data I am forced to put there, a drive with all apps and related data and that other backup drive with things like DriveImage, DataKeeper and this.

14. 2004/03/17
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Zander wrote:
    • "You'll only have a recording tab for cdrw drives... "
    I updated my system last month by removing my CD-RW drive and replacing it with a DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW drive. I don't recall whether the previous drive had a recording tab on its properties sheet, but the new one definitely does NOT.

Am I missing something here?

15. 2004/03/17
    Zander

I really don't know. I don't have a DVD/RW of any sort so without searching around a bit I can't tell you if there should be a recording tab there or not. I would suspect so, but I could certainly be wrong. I do know that if the recording service in windows is disabled the tab won't be there. Could be that the software windows uses to burn Cd's only supports CDRW. Sorry I can't give you a definite answer. I'm in the process of looking at DVD burners right now. I'll probably purchase one in the near future. Guess I'll find out then. Does anybody else reading this know the answer?

16. 2004/03/17

JSS3rd Geek Member

Hi Zander ...

The "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" was set to Manual in Services, so I changed it to Automatic and rebooted, but still have no recording tab on my burner's Properties sheet.

I haven't burned any DVDs yet, but have had no difficulty burning CDs with either Nero or Easy CD 6.

I bought the Plextor PX-708A burner several months ago because, at the time, it was the only one capable of writing DVD+R at 8x. Now, it seems that everyone has an 8x drive! And, of course, my drive is now available for at least $50 less than I paid.

Since you're shopping for a DVD burner, you might find this PC World article helpful. They don't mention the TDK internal but, according to something I read recently, it has the same specs as the Plextor, and costs less.

17. 2004/03/17
    Zander

Well, maybe I'll find out if the recording tab is there for this drive. It just so happens that's the drive I've been leaning toward. I've had one sitting in my cart at Newegg for about a month now. Just never get around to getting it done. I've always been fond of Plextor drives, though I have owned others. I'll have a look at the article you posted even though I shouldn't. That's the reason I never get the purchase made. I continue to read and read and read....
    :) I've done a lot of reading in the newsgroups. Seems like that's a good place to get a feel for what's good and what isn't with most any kind of hardware. You'll always see problems with just about all brands but when you see 20 posts a day with regards to problems with brand Y and only 2 or 3 posts a week regarding brand X you can get a pretty good idea of which drives are apt to give you problems and which aren't.

If I purchase the Plextor, I'll let you know if it offers the recording tab or not. I wonder if it isn't just a matter of no support for it in XP's burning software. Maybe it'll change with SP2. Don't know if they do those sorts of things with the service packs or not.

18. 2004/03/17

JSS3rd Geek Member

As I said, my PX-708A has no recording tab on the Properties sheet.

I bought mine in October; had I known it would take me so long to get it installed, I'd have waited, as the price has dropped steadily ... NewEgg now has it for $171 (black)/$172 (beige). That's $45 less than I paid, although why the beige faceplate should cost a buck more than the black is more than I can understand.

If you're willing to buy a bare drive (with manual and software CD), rather than the retail package, you can find it on PriceWatch (link is to the vendor's site) for $159, with free shipping. You'd only be giving up a ribbon cable, mounting screws, and a blank DVD+R disk, so it might be worth it.

19. 2004/03/18
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Hi guys & females: (can't say gals anymore, politcally incorrect? Got to watch yourself today, very easy to get in trouble. I think Zander must know what I'm saying here.)

Be that as it may, neither my CDRW nor DVD-RW drives have a record tab in properties. My IMAPI service is set to automatic.

I wonder if this is because of having Pinnicales UDF packet writing program "Instant Write" installed.

Regardless, both drives record more or less flawlessly in spite of Windows reporting Music CD when a blank disc is inserted in either drive and asking if I want to play it in WMP. (hmm, wonder what would happen if I selected WMP?)

Tried their auto fix, no joy.

One More minor irritant.

Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.