1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

System Restore Not Setting Restore Points Every 24Hrs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dan239, 2004/03/05.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/03/05
    dan239

dan239 Inactive Thread Starter

I have searched this issue at length and find that some have previously raised this same question, but did not find where anyone had offered a solution that works.

I have checked the registery and it is set to 24 hours [86,400 seconds] but it does not set a restore point unless I install something or set it manually. I can restore back to a point without any problem.

In the registery the value RPGlobalInterval is set to 86,400 [24 hours] and the value RPLifeInterval is set to 7,776,000 [90 days].

System Restore is set to automatic and is running in Services.msc.

Can anyone tell me what to do so it will set a restore point every 24 hours.

Any help appreciated.

Daniel

2. 2004/03/05
    dan239

As further information, I have verified that all my registery keys are set according to MS Knowledge Base Article #295659, "The Registry Keys and Values for the System Restore Utility ".

Daniel

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/03/05
    jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

5. 2004/03/05
    dan239

Jmatt

I have the slider set to max, which is the default position. I have almost 8500MB reserved.

I do not wish to lose my restore points at this time, so I cannot turn it off and back on to see if that would fix it. My computer is less than a month old and I have never turned the SR off.

I have made several changes in the last day or so and after another day or two when I am satisfied that I do not need my restore points, I can try turning it off and set a new point after I turn it back on.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Daniel

6. 2004/03/05
    jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

dan239 , unticking turns it on .

Just to make sure we are in unision .

7. 2004/03/05
    jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

8. 2004/03/05
    dan239

Jmatt

Thanks for the additional information, but I have already tried everything mentioned in these articles.

We are in unision, I understand that unticking turns it on. It is unticked and SR is running.

Daniel

9. 2004/03/05
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

Is the computer always on? The discussion about whether the 24 hours refers to runtime rather than solar time was not resolved, if I recall correctly.

Since my computer is always on, I get the 24-hour restore points when the computer is not in use.

But, if you use your computer for, say, 3 hours a day and it is off the rest of the time, you may have better luck setting the time to 3 hours.

10. 2004/03/05
    dan239

Abraxas

You may have a point about run time. However, my computer has probably averaged between 4 and 6 hours a day since I purchased it almost 4 weeks ago. It has not set a restore point yet, except those times when I have installed something. I have set several points myself and at least two times have had to restore to a previous point.

System Restore is working as it should, except I have gone for as much as 4 days and it set no restore point.

It may be that it will not set a restore point until 24 hours of run time after the last restore point. I will give it a try tommorow by setting it down to a low figure and see if it sets a checkpoint.

If it works I will post it.

Daniel

11. 2004/03/06
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

Just looking at my own points, I notice 3 in a row that are approximately 24 hours apart (a few minutes here and there), but one day skipped altogether. I'm wondering if the computer needs to be idle for these points to be made.

I'll be awaiting your results with curiosity.

12. 2004/03/06
    dan239

I changed System Restore in the registery to create a restore point every 3600 seconds [1 hour]. It has been over 2 hours since I did this and no restore point has been set yet. I even shutdown and restarted.

It seems I read somewhere that WinXP Home does not set restore points automatically. It may have something to do with "Backup" not being installed by default in the Home edition. I did not get an original XP CD with my system, so I do not know how I can install backup. So far my only regret with my new computer is that I did not buy one that comes with the original CD.

Would someone with XP Home that has not installed backup, tell me if your System Restore is setting restore points automatically.

Daniel

13. 2004/03/06
    jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

14. 2004/03/07
    golfman2

golfman2 Inactive

dan239, I use XP Home ,do not have Backup installed and my computer does make automatic restore points. However, it does not seem to set them every 24 hours. For example, it set a system checkpoint on March 1,3,4,5,and 6 but not on March 2nd.I have no idea why it acts as it does. My computer is typically on for 12-14 hours per day and turned off at night.

golfman2

15. 2004/03/07
    dan239

golfman2

Thanks for your reply. It appears that XP Home is supposed to set restore points based on hours of run time rather than the clock.

Now, can someone tell me why mine is not setting any restore points based on time?

I have a theory that might help someone figure this out. I think it may be something that HP installed. I have had to fix several problems because of HP installed software. I really wish that I had bought or built a computer with a clean XP install with the original XP CD-Rom. Maybe I will be smarter next time.

Daniel

16. 2004/03/08
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello dan239,

If you've searched this site on this subject, you know this issue has been discussed ad-nauseum, with myself being part of those discussions.

*I think it may be something that HP installed.* No.

Some user's system behave the way yours does w/o having any HP eqiupment - printer or otherwise, while others "keep on ticking" :) I found one unused/unplugged system running on battery power no less, happily creating RP's on schedule.

No one has found the reason for the erratic SR behaviour that I know of. This is one of those MS "mysteries" that MS itself can't give a difinative answer to.

My Home system does create RP's approx every 24 hrs w/o backup installed. I modified RP's to a longer interval - simply because I like to set them myself for meaningful events instead of filling up disk for no reason. I wish SR would stop auto points on my system :)

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2004/03/09
  17. 2004/03/12
    paul43

paul43 Well-Known Member

dan, if you go to SERVICES---start>run>---then type

services.msc

It will take you to the SERVICES page -scroll down to System restore and left click on it ---at the very top LEFT hand corner on the page there is there are two settings---Stop & Restart--click the Restart.

Next go back down to the Sytem Restore line and Right Click--then right click on Properties.

There is a lot of stuff in there and one of them asks you what to do if restore quits and there is an answer called restart.

Plus there are a couple of other pages in there you might want to look at.

I am running WIN XP PRO and mine NEVER did retore every day--the box in there say it takes 24 to start working.

I made some changes in mine and am going to wait and see if it start workng correctly--nothing to lose.

Hope this helps both of us.

Paul

18. 2004/03/12
    dan239

Paul

I did change one thing in mine to restart after first failure. I will see if it makes any difference. I realize this is a longshot, but who can tell.

In my XP Home I have not found a box that says anything about it takes 24 to start working. Can you point me to it?

Daniel

19. 2004/03/12
    paul43

paul43 Well-Known Member

Sorry Dan , I can't find it either. I think it was under thar TAB
    called--DEPENDENDCIES--becacuse that box changed when I selected "Restart the Service "

That stuff about REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL (RPC) was not in there before.

Paul

20. 2004/03/23
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello Dan,

If you're not aware of it, MiniB came up with a solution to the system not creating auto RP's here http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=147233#post147233

I tested it by disabling the Task Manager service, and my system hasn't created a System Checkpoint today.

Let us know if one, your TM service is disabled, and two, turning it on starts auto RP's.

Regards - Charles

21. 2004/03/23
    dan239

Thanks Charles

I did check my system and the Task Scheduler is set for automatic and is running.

I am still looking for a reason why my system does not set restore points automatically.

I am chasing a possible solution at this time. It seems that System Restore will only set a restore point if the system is idle. This prevents a restore point in the middle of a running program. I had a scanner program that starts at boot time and monitors the scanner buttons. I have shut it down and will see if it makes a difference. I can start it when I need it rather than run it all the time. I found this in the article that MiniB referred to.

Daniel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.