1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Transferring Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Bucksone, 2003/09/02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/09/02
    Bucksone

Bucksone Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I got a new computer with Windows XP to replace my old 98SE machine. I had the current version of Outlook Express on the old computer. I would like to transfer all of our old emails and addresses to the new computer. We have five accounts in Outlook Express, so there is quite a bit there. I can't use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard as I don't have the cabling neccessary to connect the two machines. I do have a CD burner on the old computer. Is this possible, and how do I do it?
    Thanks in advance.

2. 2003/09/02
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/09/03
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

5. 2003/09/03
    Bucksone

These suggestions look like something I can do, but I have a question before I start. There are five of us using the computer, so do I first need to set up all five accounts on the new computer before importing the addresses and messages from the old computer?

6. 2003/09/03
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

Bucksone,
    For the Address Book....Negative, since there's only one Address Book.

For the 5 Accounts...Yes, save each account to a seperate folder and follow the MS KBA directions for Importing to each account, that is if I correctly understand the way you say it it set up.

7. 2003/09/03
    Bucksone

Well, I was able to back up the address book wab files, but I'm having trouble with the message files. The knowledge base article said to locate the mail message store folder by finding the *.mbx files. I couldn't find any. Could this be because the article is based on Outlook Express 4 and I have Outlook Express 6?

8. 2003/09/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Correct - look for *.dbx files - these are the OE6 message folders.

9. 2003/09/09
    Bucksone

Yea, it worked. I've successfully transerred the adress book and all of the messages. Once again, I've been rescued by this board. Sorry it took so long to get back with the results, but I got busy with other stuff. Thanks to all.

10. 2004/04/27
    knucles

knucles Inactive

The Rules..??

Nothing seem to do everything !!!

I triple boot w2k, xp and 2003 server trial and want to backup and restore the whole of OE6 (including the rules) to each of the OSes.

Ideas......Welcome??

11. 2004/04/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

12. 2004/04/28
    knucles

knucles Inactive

OE6 backup....is it complete?

In the past, i've had the problem of my "rules and blocked" entries not being backed up and restored.

As we all know, it takes a long time to get all our rules right where you like them and really hate to loose them.

Does the gang absolutely know that this OE backup does the whole 9-yards??

I don't have a problem paying or donating for something that works or (better said) fit's my needs. :D

Last edited: 2004/04/28
  13. 2004/04/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Afraid I can't answer that - not used the program(s).

14. 2004/04/29
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Other Mail Rules

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Locate and click the following registry subkeys (save each key to a different file):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Identity Number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Rules\Mail

15. 2004/06/23
    Rjsphoto

Rjsphoto Inactive

Need help with similiar restore problem

Hello ! I have a simitiar OE6 restore prob. While getting rid of Adware my OE6 was reset and I lost all my emails. I tried the the instructions for 188854 OLEXP and 270670 OLEXP however they are not for this prob.
    My emails were actually DELETED! There was nothing to export!. I was able to Undelete with a utility. I can not get OE6 to Import these from a folder. I can point to the folder but the import window does not show the OE6 folders. I can show them with windows search or thru MyComputer.
    I tried creating folders in the OE6 to have it recognize the existance of a folder. Then using windows, went into the OE6 folder, deleted the new empty folder, coppied in the old recovered folder.. To no avail! Restsrted OE6 and it still showed the folder as empty.????

How do I import folders not exported???

16. 2004/06/23
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Tjsphoto - Welcome to the Board :)

If you can see your OE *.dbx folders then you could try DBXtract to extract the individual emails - possibly to the OE message store, but certainly to a folder of your choice. According to the Help file extracted *.eml files (emails) can then be reincorporated into OE. DBXtract used to be freeware, but is now $5 - coild be well spent!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.