1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Media Player 9 - 0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kasimir, 2003/04/11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/04/11
    Kasimir

Kasimir Inactive Thread Starter

Totally stumped.

Out of the blue, with no system alterations, no new software or uninstalls, WMP9 decides that the only thing it's going to play is silly buggers, and returns the error message:

"0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
    Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
    You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again.
    Error ID = 0xC00D11BA, Condition ID = 0x00000000 "

XP Pro still plays all system media files, and PCDJ and Winamp play MP3s etc with incident. There is basically no problem with the soundcard, media files, or the rest of the system.

Microsoft has no information on the specific error message, and the few postings re. this I've found on the Net contain questions, but no answers.

I have a number of custom hardware profiles/services on the system, but none, including the original and XP Pro default profile enable WMP9 to work.

Has anyone (ABRAXAS ???) any idea what's goin' on???

Thanks in advance,

2. 2003/04/12
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

One thing comes to mind. Open WMP, go to Tools, Options, Devices and wait till the window populates. Then highlight Speakers and click the Properties button.

Where it says, "Audio Device to Use ", try changing to "Default Direct Sound Device ". If that is already chosen, choose your soundcard from the dropdown list.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/04/12
    Kasimir

Kasimir Inactive Thread Starter

Outstanding !

What can I say Abraxas - you've done it again!

The 2 devices listed were default and Creative (Creative was selected).
    I reverted to default, and uncleared the 24-bit audio checkbox and away it went. Tested with Stairway To Heaven - no problems...

I thought I'd tried everything, but there's always something else.

Many thanks

5. 2003/04/12
    Abraxas

Abraxas Inactive

Wow! I wasn't much in the mood for thinking, so I just took a stab at it and figured I'd come back tomorrow.

Glad it was that easy and that you are back on track.

Thanks for the reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.