1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Internet Explorer Script Error?????

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Tore, 2003/04/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/04/10
    Tore

Tore Inactive Thread Starter

Every time I open a folder in my PC a window pops up saying:

Internet Explorer Script Error:

An error has occured in the script on this page
    Line: 1
    Character: 1
    Error: Type Mismatch: "KJ_Start "
    Code: 1
    URL: file://C:\WINDOWS\Web\folder.htt

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
    YES NO

I have to choose YES or NO to continue. Whether I chose YES or NO apparently makes no difference.

How can I get rid of this error message?

Tore,
  2. 2003/04/10
    BruceKrymow

BruceKrymow Inactive

Hi, Tore ~

I hate to be the bearer of bad news :mad: You have either a Nimda worm or Redlof virus.

This tells me two things: You have not been installing the MS updates, patches and/or fixes and you do not have your anti-virus up-to-date if you have one at all.

Enough yelling at you :(

First thing you need to do is:
    • 'Windows Explorer' > 'View' > 'Folder Options'
    • UNCHECK 'Web style' is selected
    • 'My Computer' > 'View'
    • UNCHECK 'as Web Page'
    WinME utilizes a restore utility that backs up selected files automatically to the C:\_Restore folder. This means that an infected file could be stored there as a backup file and a virus scan will be unable to delete these files. You must disable the System Restore Utility to remove the infected files from the C:\_Restore folder:
    • Right-click 'My Computer' and click on 'Properties'
    • Click on the 'Performance' tab
    • Click on the 'File System' button
    • Click on the 'Troubleshooting' tab
    • Put a check mark next to 'Disable System Restore'
    • Click the 'OK' button
    • You will be prompted to restart the 'puter. Click 'Yes'
    To re-enable the Restore Utility, follow these steps and remove the check mark next to 'Disable System Restore'.

OK, to diagnose exactly which you do have, go to McAfee's FreeScan now, click the 'Scan now' button and follow directions.

When that is done, do the same at TrendMicro's HouseCall

If you don't have an anti-virus program, download AVG AntiVirus 6.0, install, update, and run now. It is free and it is great. I have found it to outperform Norton, McAfee, Pc-cillin and Panda for home use. KEEP IT UPDATED!

Download and install your WinME OS updates.

For your info, here are 3 links about the virii:
    I hope this helps and I hope you learned something about the importance of keeping yourself and others protected. :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/04/10
    Tore

Redlof it was!

Thank you for your reprimand. I do need a telling-off occasionally.

Correct, I did NOT have virus control...until 3 days ago when I installed NORMAN VIRUS CONTOL. It found that every folder on my machine (>2000) had Redlof. I just did not see the connection between virus and the error mesage.

Correct, NORMAN could not clean the _RESTORE folder, so thank you for your instructions.

And yes, I will download winME updates from now on!

Best regards
    Tore

Tore,
  5. 2003/04/10
    BruceKrymow

BruceKrymow Inactive

Hi, Tore ~

How can I say this...uhh, Norman is garbage. :( According to PC World & PC Mag, it allowed over 20% of virii through w/o detection.

I suggest AVG Antivirus. I am amazed it is still free and has outperformed Norton, McAfee, Pc-cillin and Panda at home. Or go with one of the others, but I would also avoid Norton, IMHO.

There is no way, Tore, you would have been able to see the connection between the virus and the error message.

With whatever antivirus package you choose to use, please make sure you update it at least once a week at the absolute bare minimum.

6. 2003/04/11
    Tore

Correct, with so many error messages popping up AAAAALL the time on my machine I am getting quite imune, and I pay no notice to what these alert actually say. I just press the Swedish button under the PC with the end of a paperclip to re-start whenever it freezes!

NORMAN may not be the best but it is better than nothing (and it is free). After all, even without any antivirus system on my machine for many years my PC had no other viruses other than Redlof (according to NORMAN, that is). Is that remarkable or is it simply the case that the internet is relatively virus-free given that most other PCs kill the viruses anyway?

Tore

Tore,
  7. 2003/04/11
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Lol!

Get ready!

I suggest AVG Antivirus. I am amazed it is still free and has outperformed Norton, McAfee, Pc-cillin and Panda at home. Or go with one of the others, but I would also avoid Norton, IMHO.

Unquote

I agree totally on both AVG and Norton, but the last time I said something like that I got Flak!

Mike

8. 2003/04/11
    BruceKrymow

BruceKrymow Inactive

Hi, Mike & Tore ~

Yeah, I knew I took a chance with that. :eek: I have been part of some long and strong threads in other forums regarding such. Amazing how brand-loyal some people get when stuck w/ substandard products. :rolleyes:

Tore, you are really flirting with disaster. I hope you have nothing of emperical value on that unit. AVG is also free and will knock dust bunnies off Norman. Better than nothing? You may as well have nothing because that is what you are getting. Get the AVG.

Yes, it IS remarkable you didn't have more (that we know about), but 2000+ virii hardly qualifies as "relatively free ". NO, the internet is NOT even remotely "relatively virus-free ". Although it is difficult to determine exact numbers, but there are well over 80,000 known virii with 4 to 12 new viruii discovered each and every day and thousands are processed each month. This year has already started on a worrying note as four new worm variants made their way across the globe just weeks into 2003!

There is nothing further form the truth that "most other PCs kill the viruses anyway ". Tore, I want to help you and certainly do not mean to bust your chops, but it is this attitude and school of thought that contributes to the unneccessary exponential propagation of virii and malware and I only have the purest of intentions in my attempts to disabuse you of such naive notions and get you to take the responsible and proactive stance to protect yourself as well as others. :)

Last edited: 2003/04/11
  9. 2003/04/11
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Or to put it another way.
    If you have a cold, and walk into a room full of people, and some of those people have weak immune systems, and you sneeze, what happens?

10. 2003/04/14
    Tore

Yes,yes, yes!! Don't rub it in, I hear what you say. I don't however think everything is black and white. I firmly believe Norman IS better than nothing. When you say it isn't, I begin to lose a bit of interest. After all, it DID find and destroy Redlof. And as for "school of thought" I don't belong to any in computing. I simply observed that after many years of unprotected PC use, only ONE out of 80000 infectious viruses was found (yes, there are probably more - undetected by poor little Norman) on my machine. I simply could not help asking myself what did the other 79999 do over the years with my PC fully exposed to this threat?

But of course I will always use a virus program from now on.

Tore,
  11. 2003/04/14
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

Bruce - You outlined some steps to take to disable a "restore registry" in WinMe prior to scanning to determine what viruses, if any, are on the computer. Are there similar steps one needs to take before pursuing some viruses on Win 98 SE. Specifically, Klez32 and Bugbear.

Tore - My apologies if it is impolite to throw in an added question on someone else's post.

12. 2003/04/14
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Robert - not impolite really but still not giving yourself the best shot at having your question answered in detail.

And if the original poster has a thread set to email them when there is a response and their question isn't fully dealt with (so they can turn off the notification) there is a pretty good chance they may consider it a little rude unless they just like reading this stuff.

13. 2003/04/14
    BruceKrymow

BruceKrymow Inactive

Hi, Robert ~

I don't think Win98 has an automatic system restore facility, but would defer to a savvy Win98.

14. 2003/04/14
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

98 or 98SE does not have a System Restore or System File Protection.

15. 2003/04/15
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

Thanks for the responses. And Newt, I have your suggestion logged into my memory bank - hopefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.