1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Thumbnails in Open, Save, and Save As Requesters

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JSS3rd, 2003/02/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/02/28
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

I had a massive system crash at the end of December which resulted in the loss of all data on the two hard drives (details available if you're interested, but I'm afraid they're too technical for most users). After a clean installation of XP Pro, I rebuilt my system, and am up to date with SP1 and all applicable patches.

BUT, I now have a major annoyance (M$ seems to consider it a "feature ") that was not present before the system went down.

Whenever I'm in an image processing program, and open an OPEN, SAVE, or SAVE AS requester, image files, and the folders containing them, appear in the "thumbnails" view, rather than the "details" view, which I prefer ... another case of the Gnomes from Redmond making assumptions about how I want to use Windows. It's easy enough to click on the View selector and choose "details ", but it's a major PITA to have to do it each time I open a requester.

Before responding, please note that this has nothing to do with the "Apply To All Folders" selection in Folder Options.

Any suggestions (better yet, fixes) would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Jim

2. 2003/02/28
    Newt

Newt Inactive

At the risk of offending you, I have to say it does have to do with the "Apply To All Folders" selection. Sort of. Eventually.

Two things to try that may fix your problem. I think there must be a bug of some sort in the XP code but can't figure out why it bites some folks some of the time rather than all of us.

Do these in Windows Explorer rather than from My Computer:

.Tools~Folder Options~View~ and click the "Restore Defaults" and "Reset all Folders" buttons.

. Reboot

. View Tab again and Reset the options you desire.

. Do Not have "Remember Each Folder's View Settings" checked/active/set.

. Close the View Tab and make sure the View is still as you want it.

. Back into View and now "Apply to All Folders ".

. Start~Run~Regedit
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Policies\Explorer]
    Value Name: NoSaveSettings
    Data Type: REG_DWORD and make it 0 (zero = disabled)

This seems to work on some systems just fine and hold forever. On others, you will lose the settings again at some point. If that happens

Backup (just in case) and then delete these two keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Sh
    ellNoRoam\BagMRU]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Sh
    ellNoRoam\Bags]

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/03/01

Thanks for the input, Newt, and I should have said that the problem apparently has nothing to do with the "Apply To All Folders" selection.

Unfortunately, I'm sorry to have to report that your fixes didn't work . The requesters still open with the Thumbnails view.

Anyone else?

Jim

Last edited: 2003/03/01
  5. 2003/03/03
    evr

evr Inactive

hi,

I have no personal knowledge on this subject but ....

You are absolutely correct in your observations according to "Windows XP Inside Out" authored by Ed Bott from Microsoft Press. You can change the view in this "instance" but in "instance plus 1" the default view will return. In concrete, can't change.

Good Luck

Last edited: 2003/03/03
    evr,
  6. 2003/03/03
    Newt

Newt Inactive

JSS3rd - sorry. My bad. I didn't read your original post as carefully as I should have.

evr has it correct about a few specific folders - the ones you want to work with it appears.

If you can create new, normal folders, set them the way you want, and direct the app to place images there I think you can have it the way you want.

Newt,
  7. 2003/03/03

Arrgh! I have nearly 300 folders and subfolders in my Clips (My Pictures) folder. I guess I'll just have to suffer, even though, as I said in my original post, it's a major PITA to have to select the Details view each time I open a requester. This is progress? :mad:

Jim

8. 2003/03/04
    Newt

Newt Inactive

JSS3rd - all may not be lost.

- Create a new folder for pictures.

- Cut and paste the entire contents of My Pictures (but not the My Pictures folder itself) to the new folder. Important to cut/paste (move) rather than copy.

- Set your folder options for the new folder to details and then do the Apply To All thing. The changes should hold. I just tried it and have opened/closed Windows Explorer several times and still have details on the new folder full of pictures.

Newt,
  9. 2003/03/04

Hi Newt,

I guess we're even now ... just as you didn't read my original post carefully enough, I didn't read your last one carefully enough, either.

Only after doing everything you suggested, and having it not work, did I realize that you were talking about folders and files in Windows Explorer. I never had a problem there, though ... I always had the Details view. It was when I opened an OPEN, SAVE, or SAVE AS... requester from within an image editing program that I got Thumbnails rather than Details.

This evening, though, something weird happened ... I did not get the Thumbnails when I opened a requester for a folder that was full of .png images, as opposed to .bmps, .gifs, and .jpgs. It took awhile for it to sink in, but I finally realized that the folder with the .pngs was not in my CLIPS ( "My Pictures ") folder, but in my DOCUMENTS ( "My Documents ") folder.

As you probably know, both TweakUIs, 1.33 and XP, permit you to assign certain folders to locations other than the default location, and I had assigned "My Pictures" to my CLIPS folder. After moving all of my image folders to my new IMAGES folder, I assigned "My Pictures" there.

When the lightning finally struck, I opened Tweak and reassigned "My Pictures" to a folder I almost never use. Result? PROBLEM SOLVED!

Although your inputs didn't provide a solution, they did keep me thinking about the problem, and for that, I thank you.

Jim

10. 2003/03/05
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Glad you finally got it fixed.

I remember noticing "requester from within an image editing program" and should have asked for clarification at that point rather than just assuming you meant something else and trying to answer that something else.

Newt,
  11. 2003/03/05

I learned years ago, in my Air Force days, that one must always RTFQ before putting pen to paper. In other words, "Don't assume nuthin'!" :D

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.