1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Computer shuts down suddenly when visioning videos

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bestway, 2016/05/05.

1. 2016/05/05
    Bestway

Bestway Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My computer use Windows 7, always worked very well (3 years now), even executing large music or video files. In the last 3 weeks it shuts down suddenly when visioning videos. It starts to execute the video and after a few minutes, it happens from one moment to the next in seconds without any previous remark or advice. It just turns off! Then I have to reboot it from the very beginning.
    How can I check and change any related computer information that eventually is limiting the size of videos that can be viewed?
    Thanks for any help.
    Joaquim

2. 2016/05/05
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Joaquim. Does the computer turn off only when attempting to open video files?

The first thing I would try is to Perform a clean boot in Windows and see if the same issue occurs.

Also please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions.

Note: A common error is to forget to show your System Details in your profile:

Make sure to do the above when entering your System Details, thanks.

Bestway likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/05/06
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Could be overheating, have a look at your temps when this happens.

Arie,
    Bestway likes this.
  5. 2016/05/06
    Bestway

Hi Evan,
    I followed yours very useful tips and I hope that the problem may be over now. The clean booth performance looks like to allow computer to become out of existing problems. At the end of the clean booth when I did the reboot the computer started immediatelly working very well, without turn off for about more than 4 hours now. Thank you very much.
    Joaquim
    The system details are as follows:
    Operation system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU: Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz 34 ºC
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Tecnology
    RAM: 4,00GB Duplo-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (9-9-9-28)
    Mother board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LX2 (LGA1155) 24 ºC
    Gráficas: VK228 (1360x768@60Hz)
    32W LCD-TV (1360x768@60Hz)
    1023 MBNVIDIA GeForce GT 620 (EVGA) 50 ºC
    Storage: 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA) 28 ºC
    698GB Western Digital WD Elements 10B8 USB Device (USB (SATA))31 ºC
    Unidades ópticas:TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB ATA Device
    Audio:Realtek High Definition Audio

6. 2016/05/06
    Bestway

Hi Arie,
    You may be right. Could be overheating. I opened the computer box and foud a lot of dirtiness. Unthinkable! The three fans were full of fuzz and all around inside the computer box there was dirtiness. I made a first cleaning and over the weekend I will perform a more detailed cleaning. Thanks!
    Joaquim

7. 2016/05/06
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Beatway: If you click on System Details and follow the instructions in Evan's Post# 2 You will be able to permanently enter you systems information into your user profile.

lj50,
  8. 2016/05/07
    Evan Omo

Ok that's good news about the clean boot. Now go back into the System Configuration Utility and set the Startup selection to Normal startup which will re-enable all of the startup programs.

After that is done, please download Autoruns. After you download the zipped folder on your desktop, right click the zipped folder and click Extract All. After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Run the autoruns.exe program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When you open the program, click the Logon Tab and then post a screenshot of all the startup entries on the Logon Tab in your next reply.

For posting the screenshot, just upload the image to http://imgur.com/ and post the link here.

9. 2016/05/08
    Bestway

Thanks Evan for this follow-up.
    Once again I followed the steps that you provided, but were not able to perform the last task:
    "After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Run the autoruns.exe program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. "
    I extracted the Autoruns.exe, but were not able to open it.
    Anyway, thanks for your help.
    Joaquim

10. 2016/05/29
    Evan Omo

What happens when you attempt to run the Autoruns program? Do you get an error message?

11. 2016/06/04
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member

I had a very similar fault, finding that by reinstalling the graphics card driver software cleared the fault, in my case anyhow.