1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Unable to access network share]

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by garsar, 2016/05/04.

1. 2016/05/04
    garsar

garsar Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Having a new Win10 laptop and setting it up on the same network with other Win7 computers, followed the same procedure that always worked before and could view back and forth between the computers but with one problem that makes no sense and I can not figure out.
    The problem is that I can not open the drive D, on either Asus laptop using Win 10 and/or Win 7. In both cases all the folders within D drive that I share (and security settings) are visible and usable, but not the drive D on either computer. All sharing and security settings are identical with the folders that work across the network.
    In the sharing center I have it share without passwords.
    It keeps saying Can not access drive D.
    I think I tried everything but maybe someone can suggest something.

2. 2016/05/04
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/05/05
    garsar

Answer

For anyone else:
    Even though I had set up the security and share (right click properties) on the two computers (Win7 & 10), because the Win10 was the new computer, it and I neglected to join the workgroup as well as the settings I am used to.
    Without the workgroup, the C drive and D drive were not accessible.
    Now they are.

5. 2016/05/05
    garsar

Thanks Doc. You got me thinking and my first was to rename the drive for the network but that led me to a more thorough comparison of what was or was not identical between the computers on the network. I found it, it's in my final reply post.

6. 2016/05/05
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member