1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved windows updates stuck at 0% complete

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ihadnohorse, 2016/02/12.

1. 2016/02/12
    ihadnohorse

ihadnohorse Well-Known Member Thread Starter

machine is sony all-in-one desktop 64 version
    Today first time I received a pop-up window from interactive message notification telling me that vcagent.exe (vaio care) is trying to send a message and that it's not compatible with windows. After doing a search online, I found posts about windows updates not downloading. I checked my windows updates and found 68 important updates available. I checked the installed updates and no updates have been installed since August of 2015. I get a 0% complete whether I try to install 1 or 68. my notification for win updates is "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them "
    Based on other posts online I have tried stopping and starting win updates from cmd.exe and deleting the files in c/windows/softwaredistribution/download. None of that worked.

2. 2016/02/12
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi ihadnohorse. Please follow the instructions in my guide for optimizing Windows 7 and post the requested logs here in your next reply.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/02/13
    ihadnohorse

ihadnohorse Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips & tricks. When I have a year to spare, I'll start the process. However, I fixed it and don't really know which of these did the trick:
    1) downloaded the system update rediness tool which got stuck running 2) changed the win update setting to "download updates but let me choose whether to install them" 3) ran sfc/scannow which found some corrupt files it couldn't fix, but the folder CBS log denied entry 4) rebooted
    All 68 updates are now downloaded & installed.

5. 2016/02/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Ok great. Thanks for letting me know. :)