1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved No Internet Secured

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by alanrf, 2016/02/09.

1. 2016/02/09
    alanrf

alanrf Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been having similar issues on one of my laptops, apparently after installing the latest Win10 update.

[Thread referred to]

The problem:

Put simply, when I attempt to use a wifi connection the icon shows an exclamation point and the tooltip reads "No internet access ". Checking via Settings / Network and Internet I see the message "No internet, secured "

I can access an external wifi hotspot with no problems, but cannot access the internet via my own router.

The network adaptor is a Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

The OS is Windows 10 Home, Version 1511, build 10586.71, 32-bit

I tried countless different suggested solutions, summarised below,with no luck, from restarting the router, to disabling the AV software and firewall.

The solution:

However, reading the comments earlier in this thread gave me the idea to try and set the P protocol foripV4 manually, not least because the "Aitomatic" option was not doing anything!

I entered the relevant IP address, (192.168.1.18), the subnet mask, (255.255.255.0) and the default gateway (192.168.1.1) followed by specifying the preferred DNS, (192.168.1.1).

Saving this manual input did give a warning re multiple gateways but I ignored that on thge3 basis that the two entries were identical.

Result - success - so far anyway.

I am struggling to understand why the "Automatic" option was not working. I have the impression though that the connection tried to make it, briefly, before it fell over.

The previous steps tried:

Trying network diagnosis went through all of the various steps and ended up with:

"one or more network protocols are missing on this computer "

No idea what they are or how to resolve this!!

Sorry to provide a long list but none of the following had any effect.

1)
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

2)
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

3)
    netsh winsock reset

4)
    netsh int ip reset
    --- This failed failed with access denied message

5)
    ipconfig /flushdns

6)
    netcfg –d
    --- To reinstall network devices, suggested by MS for Win 10 version 1511

7)
    Removed ipv6 option
    --- via Properties/Networking and uncheck option.

8)
    Try "forgetting" network and reinstalling

--- via Wifi panel, manage networks settings, find network and click Forget.

Return to wifi page and shows connection as secured but not connected.
    Click "Connect" and then it is "checking network requirements "

Result: "No internet, secured "

2. 2016/02/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Alan - I have split your post to a new thread - your issue is somewhat different to the one in the thread to which you posted.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/02/09
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you have the laptop connected by cable when endeavouring to get a connection?
    Have you entered the Password (usually on the bottom of the Router/Modem)? Neil.

5. 2016/02/09
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You can use all of the setting I put in that other thread but DO NOT use a static IP address and in Services set DHCP Client to Automatic and started. b A laptop using wifi should not use a static IP address else you won't be able to connect to other wifi network because they don't all use the same local IP address schema, some use 192,168.0.x, some use 10.x.x.x.

6. 2016/02/10
    alanrf

alanrf Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, but the problem was that the "Automatic" option did not actually do anything and it was impossible to access the router. Pinging the router failed every time which was my final clue in trying to resolve the issue.

Not sure why or how the problem arose, but there have been numerous reports of "No internet, secured" since the Win 10 ver 1511 update. May just be a coincidence of course, and there have not been any problems on my other two laptops. I wondered initially if it was a driver issue but as far as I can check the driver is current and up-to-date.

All very mysterious and very frustrating!

7. 2016/02/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Uninstall that update and see if it works again.
    I always set updates to manual for that reason.

8. 2016/02/10
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Unfortunately, that's not an option in Win 10.