1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 Home will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rickduley, 2016/01/30.

1. 2016/01/30
    rickduley

rickduley Well-Known Member Thread Starter

On startup my machine shows the first bios splash then beeps and shows the first bios splash then beeps ...

I have tried removing each of the RAM sticks individually but neither makes any difference. It does boot when they are re-seated.

2. 2016/01/30
    alboy

alboy Well-Known Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/30
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

How many beeps. Longs and shorts

5. 2016/01/30
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Who is the manufacturer of the computer what model and version is it. If its a Dell what's the Service Tag number, or an HP what's the Product Number(P/N) etc. Who provided the BIOS. Each BIOS provider has different beep codes.

lj50,
  6. 2016/01/30
    rickduley

My machine is Intel QuadCore i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16 GB RAM, MS Windows 7 Home Premium v. 6.1 64-bit SP1.
    It was assembled by Net Solution Computers of Morley, Western Australia, and has a SAMSUNG U28D590D VDU driven by an NVIDIA QUADRO K620 Video Card and RealTek High Definition Audio on Motherboard MSI B75MA-P45
    I have Windows Security Essentials as Anti-virus with Memeo Backup Pro, IE11, and Skype all running in the background.

I have no idea who provided the BIOS.

7. 2016/01/30
    rickduley

How many beeps? Just one short one.

8. 2016/01/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi rickduley,
    Sounds like a dirty connection with your RAM. Take all RAM sticks out and use a lead pencil rubber eraser to gently clean the contacts on the RAM. Blow out the RAM slot in the M/B and re-seat one stick and gently wiggle from side to side when inserted.
    Start the comp with just the 1 stick of RAM and see if it runs OK.
    Shut down and repeat for each of the other sticks of RAM (one at a time).
    I know it will take a bit of time but it will eliminate any connection problems. Neil.

rickduley likes this.
  9. 2016/01/30
    rickduley

Hello retiredlearner

Hmmm ... a "K1 ..." :) - Your avatar resonates :)

I have been suspecting a dirty connection and have tried cleaning the tabs on the sticks with tissues. I hadn't thought of a soft eraser.

You suggested, "Blow out the RAM slot in the M/B ". Question is, what with? I suspect that Computer Servicefolk have some device or product designed for just such a purpose. Can anyone suggest what that product might be and where I might obtain it?

Thanks

10. 2016/01/31
    alboy

alboy Well-Known Member

Try something like this item on Amazon although you will probably have to find a site that is more local to you hope it helps : http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-4002888404006-Compressed-Air-Cleaner/dp/B0000934G1

11. 2016/01/31
    retiredlearner

I have a small air compressor which I use at low pressure to regularly blow out dust from our comps. You need to make sure that any fans near where you're planning on clearing dust and dirt, do not get caught in the airflow as it's very easy to overspin the fans.
    I use a plastic or thin wooden skewer to hold the fan blades while blowing air through any fan assemblies. (Mum's knitting needles work well)
    The cans of compressed air are more portable than motorised compressors but still need care when using. Neil.

rickduley likes this.
  12. 2016/01/31
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

13. 2016/01/31
    rickduley

Thanks, guys.

Is it only dust you need to worry about? My previous apartment (very small, an efficiency) lacked ventilation. My machine was very near the kitchen area and I fear it may have been affected by oily cooking residue. There is nothing to indicate that on the CPU fan, and I did take added precautions about dust and grime getting sucked into the machine, but it's just an horrid thought.

Pouring bleach or dishwashing liquid down the RAM slots might be a bit over the top :eek:, but I was wondering if there was anything one might use to more actively clean the sticks and slots.

14. 2016/01/31
    retiredlearner

I have found that blowing out the slots is best because you will be likely to damage the connectors if you poke around or spray liquids in there.
    As I said earlier, gently wiggling the RAM stick on assembly will assist in making a good contact.
    There are many chemicals in the air around us which can cause verdigris/skins to form around electrical connections coupled with the humidity and heat and cold.
    Be careful. Neil.

rickduley likes this.
  15. 2016/02/01
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Contact spray?

16. 2016/02/01
    rickduley

Nobody said this was a virus - I didn't think about a simple bug in the system ;)

17. 2016/02/01
    rickduley

There is now some sort of order on my machine! :D

Disconnecting unnecessary peripherals and reconnecting them one at a time isolated the Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive as the item which cause the RAM Snap anomaly. I thought for a while that something had happened in BIOS and the machine was trying to boot from the External HDD which has no boot sector. An inspection of BIOS showed that to be false - but I shifted all USB drives to the end of the priority chain anyway. The problem persisted.

Although a DOS CHKDSK had cleared it, it the External HDD failed Seagate's SeaTools checks. It looks like I need a new External HDD. :( I can still read/write to the Seagate Drive if I connect it after booting up, so all is not lost.

This leaves us with the question, "How would faulty segments in an External HDD cause a boot failure which is temporarily fixed by a RAM Snap? " I cannot come up with a reason. There is nothing I know about binary logic which would provide for that. Suggestions, anyone? :cool:

My thanks to everyone who contributed to a search for a solution. I am sorry that the ride was so confused, but we can write this one up to experience. At least my machine is behaving itself which was the object of the exercise. :)

Thanks again

18. 2016/02/01
    MrBill

Contact spray is for cleaning CONTACTS in electronics etc.

19. 2016/02/01
    rickduley

Oh ... ! I thought you were talking about BayGon or Mortein or PeaBeau or something. Shows how much I know about computers ;)

20. 2016/02/01
    retiredlearner

Nice to know you've got it working smoothly again. Would have been nice to know you had peripherals connected as we would have suggested disconnecting them first off. :eek:
    You should always go back to standard when troubles show up in comps.
    Get the base unit working then add the extras to see if they are the problem.
    It's worth remembering for future reference. :)
    As MrBill suggested re the spray. CRC NF Contact Cleaner can be used - but you need to be able to do a blow-dry afterwards.
    Your next purchase - a hair dryer. :D Neil.

21. 2016/02/01
    MrBill

I have probably sprayed a couple of hundred gallons of Contact cleaner in my life working for the phone company and never used anything to dry the equipment with afterwards. Evaporates pretty quickly afterwards. The contact cleaner that we used would freeze a mirror on a vehicle in the summer. If sprayed outside on a warm day, it would never hit the ground as it would be gone.
    I use an air compressor here at the house and hold the fans to keep them from spinning to fast and burn the bearings up. I usually use a Q-Tip to hold the fans and rub them with to get most of the dust and grime off of them.

Last edited: 2016/02/01