1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Stereo audio only from HDMI

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by rikki, 2016/01/29.

1. 2016/01/29
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This may not be a specifically Windows problem but it is causing me a lot of headaches and I would be grateful if anyone can offer help or point me in the right direction.

I am installing an older Acer T690 desktop running Win 7 to use as a streaming computer. I have put a Sapphire 6670 graphics card with HDMI output in it to feed the HD TV. The TV is a Sony and it passes the digital audio component through to the amp via an optical cable. I know all this works correctly because I have tested it with other equipment.

The problem is that I can only get 2-channel stereo sound from the HDMI playback device. Everything appears correct, except there is no option for anything other than stereo. I have been researching this and it seems to be a common complaint with the AMD ATI driver this card requires. I have tried updating the driver and also updating the Realtech HD audio driver but nothing seems to make a difference.

Does anyone have a solution for this? It is slowly driving me crazy.

2. 2016/01/30
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

The problem may or may not be the drivers. The ATI card detects what features the tv supports and will limit its features based on what it detects. Best to connect the hdmi directly to an amp which as hdmi pass through. The tv likely does not have the built in software for all audio types.

That said, have you tried the Realtek ATI HDMI Audio Device driver in this list?

Also, the type of audio signal that gets passed can be determined by the multimedia application used on the computer. For example, probably the best software to use is VLC, and even though 2 channel stereo is shown in the audio applet you can further control the sound output with VLC audio settings. The amp should have a screen that informs you of the type of audio that is being passed through it and it will display the audio signal type after the correct audio type is set in VLC or other software.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/02/01
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have spent a lot of time and effort on this and I still don't have a real solution but I know more than I did and I have decided to abandon this thread and mark it solved.

I managed to get two audio set-ups working. The first is the original one via HDMI. I have tried every combination of driver I can find and whatever I do, I cannot get this to work with more than two channels.

I found an SPDIF header on my motherboard and managed to successfully connect an optical output to it. Windows sees this as a Dolby 5.1 audio link. When I test the speakers individually through Windows, I get all channels correctly. But when I try to play any 5.1 source material, it only comes out 2 channel stereo. I don't know what else to try so I have given up on this.