1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Win 10/Linux Dual-Boot - UEFI flash to original? Remove Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Ebmm, 2015/11/28.

1. 2015/11/28
    Ebmm

Ebmm Member Thread Starter

I am on a Lenovo G50-80 laptop w/ Windows 10 x64. I have recently been experimenting with a couple Linux OSs in a dual boot configuration with complete success. I have though since decided to dedicate another machine to my Linux ambitions.

My partition is expanded back to norm, all is well with that, however, it still has ubuntu listed in the boot menu and I have been unable to remove it as it keeps being "reinstalled" w/ another, and different {identifier} in BCDedit.

Is anyone aware of how I can delete the identifier and have it not return (it's obviously stored elswhere) or simply reflash the BIOS to it's original state?

NOTE: in BCDedit, /fixmbr or /fixboot had no effect. Also the most recent available update to the UEFI had no effect either nor do 3rd party boot editors.

This is really a non-issue as far as the functionality of the laptop goes, it's more of myself wanting the answer and satisfying that OCD side of myself.......lol.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Ebmm,
  2. 2015/11/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Ebmm, I put Ubuntu on a HDD a few years ago to try it and had no end of problems trying to uninstall it and put Windows XP on the HDD. I ended up using Delpart to completely wipe the disc.
    I know it's not exactly your situation, but I found this at Tom's Hardware from a guy who was in strife.
    Hope this helps. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/28
    Ebmm

Yea, not really my situation but Thx. Win 10 is booting and running fine so I don't need to wipe it clean, just delete the Ubuntu entry in the bcd - firmware applications (same location as the USB EFI, CD/DVD EFI, etc.) so when I do go into my bios, Ubuntu isn't there. Like I stated, it's not giving me any issues other than the fact that I don't know the answer and there must be one......:=)

Ebmm,
  5. 2015/11/28
    retiredlearner

Have you tried Hirens Boot CD or had a look at it's Menu of operations you can perform? Neil.

6. 2015/11/28
    Ebmm

I'll check it out. I've tried four others but I will take at look at your suggestion. Thx

Ebmm,
  7. 2015/11/28
    TopFarmer

TopFarmer Well-Known Member

Did you remove (delete) the ubuntu folder in the EFI partition ?
    Just what boot menu ? I have never had Windows boot menu list any linux boot options, and you state that the linux efi entire has been removed from computers firmware.

Or are you only seeing the entire when you run "bcdedit" ? That would point to the folder is still in EFI partition. If that is the case, I think you must have WIn pro to mount the efi partition or use linux, to delete said folder.

8. 2015/11/28
    Ebmm

Linux created two partitions from the unallocated space. Root and Swap which are now gone and the space was expanded back into the rest of the C drive. When I say boot menu, I mean when going into the BIOS and having to change boot order and such. That's where it remains as well as in BCD under firmware applications. It has not been removed from the UEFI firmware, as that is my dilemma. It'll get deleted while in BCDEdit under admin but re-appears with a totally new identifier so the firmware is pulling it from somewhere else and throwing it back in. That is what I am unable to figure out.

When you say EFI partition, are you speaking of a partition other than the two Linux originally created?............. the volumes I deleted in Windows disc management upon bringing the machine back to Windows only?

Ebmm,
  9. 2015/11/28
    Ebmm

Just a note to add. In BCD I had no issue deleting my previous build from the boot menu nor a 3rd party recovery boot in the same list of firmware applications that Ubuntu resides. The others have nothing to do with this issue but you'd think Ubunto would delete as the other two did. It's being re-written from somewhere.

Ebmm,
  10. 2015/11/28
    Ebmm

Under disc management I see a EFI partition but what do I do with it?

Ebmm,
  11. 2015/11/28
    TopFarmer

You will need to mount the partition and delete the \efi\Ubuntu folder. DO NOT delete the \efi\boot or efi\windows folders or any others.

If you are not running win pro you likely can not mount the partition. (I know win8.1 ,except Pro can not).

You can use a live linux dvd/usb booted in EFI mode and find the folder /boot/efi/efi/ubuntu.

DO NOT delete the partition, if you do WIndows will NOT boot. Both MS Windows and linux uses the partition on a GPT disk booting in EFI mode.

IF you want to delete the linux entire from firmware, (some comps it is easy for its firmware setting) or you can use linux command "efibootmgr" with correct augments.

Last edited: 2015/11/28
  12. 2015/11/29
    Ebmm

TopFarmer, I was able to mount the partition yet I am denied access. It ends with saying go to the security tab that doesn't exist. Any ideas?

13. 2015/11/29
    Ebmm

TopFarmer, because this is Win 10 Home (yuk) I had to install gpedit. After install I navigated to Admin Templates> Windows Components> Windows Explorer> Remove Security Tab and disabled. However, when trying to access the "now mounted" EFI partition there is still no security tab. What am I doing wrong?

14. 2015/11/29
    TopFarmer

15. 2015/11/29
    Ebmm

That did the trick!! Thx so much! One last question. Since the removal of linux and now ubuntu in the efi, i still have a menu upon re-boot to select win 10 or EFI IPv4. How do I set the system back to just go into win 10 w/o the selection option as it did when new and prior to the dual boot?

16. 2015/12/15
    retiredlearner

Right click Start > Run > type msconfig > OK > Boot = what shows in boot menu? Neil.