1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Removing Cloud Services in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by papernpaste, 2015/11/25.

1. 2015/11/25
    papernpaste Lifetime Subscription

papernpaste Old Man Thread Starter

After booting a new machine that included Windows 10, I've been able to get most of the things that I don't like about Windows 10 removed but, I still can't manage removing what I think are "cloud" services so that when I download a PDF file, I see it in a Microsoft window rather than the old style (Adobe PDF Reader under windows 7). I don't want Microsoft involvement in viewing or downloading my pdf's so, could someone please explain what steps I need to take to eliminate this present concoction that is included in Windows 10? Thanks

2. 2015/11/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

papernpaste likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/25

Thanks, PeteC, for the reply. I realize that I am probably in the minority, here. I have no desire to connect my two computers or my phone, via One Drive, since I use a 3G Smartphone that is smart enough for me without access to the 4g lte internet speeds or facilitation, therein provided. It amazes me that MS has made it so difficult to "unhook" my IP address from so many invasively designed apps/services. I actually found and now have Foxit on my system, before reading your reply, but thank you. I'm, personally, an advocate of individual privacy and an open internet. I just want to use my machines and choose what I wish to run on them. As years pass, it is obvious to me what the hidden designs are in new products. If I don't want my machines to operate in a certain fashion, I don't need a manufacturer including what should be setup options in their products and stuffing them down everyone's throats and making it difficult to remove them if the end user doesn't desire them. Once again, thank you...issue resolved.

5. 2015/11/26
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You just need to make Adobe Reader your default (this may require uninstalling and re-installing Adobe Reader). I had to do this too - though I use Foxit Reader because I don't trust Adobe products due to their almost constant security issues.

Bill,
    papernpaste likes this.
  6. 2015/11/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Beware! Foxit will offer Cloud storage as well. ;) Neil.

papernpaste likes this.
  7. 2015/11/27
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Beware? Offering and forcing are two different things. Foxit makes opting out of any extra offers simple and readily apparent.

And FTR, as I was just setting up a new system, I decided to install Foxit Reader on it, downloading the reader from here.

I was never offered any Cloud storage, and it never wanted to install any extra toolbars, search engines, or wanted to change my home page either. It did offer a 30 trial of Foxit Phantom, but immediately under that was the tick box to opt-out of that.

Bottom line, nothing to "beware" of.

That said, it is common for free products to offer options. Those developers have to feed and shelter their families too! So as long as opt-out options are readily available, I see no problem with that.

Bill,
    papernpaste likes this.
  8. 2015/12/15

I was remiss in my regard to mark this thread resolved. Thank you to all who provided imput.