1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved I just don't like certain features

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by papernpaste, 2015/11/16.

1. 2015/11/16
    papernpaste Lifetime Subscription

papernpaste Old Man Thread Starter

of Windows 10 and would appreciate any advice on how-to rid my computer of a few things.
    My neighbor really likes Windows 10 and sees no issue with having another web-based mail with immediate on-screen access without login. I have enough email clients (Outlook 2007 and Thunderbird)and more than enough online (web mail) mail accounts.
    Let's see...there's my ISP's web mail, Yahoo. I've opted out of everything Google and don't have a Facebook account. You may be getting the idea that I don't want anyone spying into my data and using it to send me ads or computer without my knowledge or permission. I have nothing to hide. I obey the law and respect others and their rights to privacy. But, even though I have no interest in illegal commerce, I want to excercise my rights and have chosen a VPN in an effort to mind my own business and not have others mind it.
    When I purchased my system (see sig), recently, I opened Windows 10 to "Mail" and an already open Chromium. I didn't ask or want either.
    I'm interested in permanently disabling or uninstalling whatever I need to, either within Widows 10 and/or within Online setting with live.com or Outlook.com in an effort to rid my computer of these optional features. Thank you for any assistance.

2. 2015/11/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The simple answer is - you don't need to use the Apps you don't like. The other way would be to turn off the Windows features you don't want in Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off. Neil.

papernpaste likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

papernpaste likes this.
  5. 2015/11/17
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

PeteC thanks, you helped me regain my sanity. Forgot that HTG sent that to me a while ago. But I couldn't find it again.

lj50,
    papernpaste likes this.
  6. 2015/11/17
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

papernpaste likes this.
  7. 2015/11/17
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

hawk22: I've read that one. Tech Republic sent it to me. Some of it is scary. I still want to know who owns all your data, photos, etc. once it's saved to the Cloud.

lj50,
    papernpaste likes this.
  8. 2015/11/20

Thank Goodness for Recall

I recalled that I had used a software program on my previous machines that provides for lots of customization. I found the old link (that I had left out of my browser exports for some reason) and downloaded the newest version. All of my undesirable issues with the way that Windows 10 Tiles work are fixed and I am one happy camper! If anyone is trying to find ways to work around windows 10 after a free update and is frustrated, don't despair. Get Classic Shell and you don't have to be a computer guru to find your way through the program and come out the other side with features and a design that you may prefer. I'm so glad that I don't have to do a Windows uninstall and install an older version in order to enjoy my computer experience.

This software can be found here: http://www.classicshell.net

couldn't figure out how to make it a link without further reading

9. 2015/11/20
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

I like the 10 start menu, I just delete all the tiles and if I like something I pin it. Classic Shell is awesome for Windows 8(ate). :)

papernpaste likes this.
  10. 2015/11/20

Thank you to all of the reply posters. I couldn't seem to discard "Mail ", although I have considered simply deleting my MS live.com account. I hardly ever use it. I don't mind launching Outlook when I want to view my mail..perhaps it is just the I prefer the software that I like to use attached to my task bar rather than seeing them in the middle of my start screen. Everyone has their own, sometimes quirky, preferences, right?
    Anyway, thanks, everyone. Classic shell works well with W10, too.

11. 2015/11/20

what is that? a mustang? :)

12. 2015/11/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi papernpaste, I see you've fixed your problem. We have covered this topic of using an alternate Start menu during the early days of Windows 8 & 8.1. and if you wish to look at W8 Forum you will find all the answers in there.
    We all had some trouble initially getting to grips with the Metro (Tiles as they are now) GUI, but I personally enjoy learning about new "stuff ". Cheers Neil.

papernpaste likes this.
  13. 2015/11/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The link I posted in post #3 tells you how to uninstall Mail.

papernpaste likes this.
  14. 2015/11/22
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

Yes it is. It is actually a Retro pony symbol. I tried to change it to a larger one but it seems to default to that one. I own a Sonic Blue 05 mustang.

papernpaste likes this.