1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Questions about connecting two computers

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by papernpaste, 2015/11/12.

1. 2015/11/12
    papernpaste Lifetime Subscription

papernpaste Old Man Thread Starter

I've recently read that a crossover ethernet patch cable can be used to transfer files from one computer to another.
    After my Gateway DX4870 UR3D died and won't even show a light or make a beep (that's another issue I'll ask about, later), I pulled out my older machine- a Gateway 820GM that runs a 32bit windows 7 system, and used it for about a month while I decided to order the system that I am using now (see signature for info).
    My question is: Can I access any of the document files and an exported .pst file that I have on the Gateway by using a crossover patch connected to my new Dell XPS? Or, is that impossible because my Dell is a 64bit system and the old Gateway is a 32 bit system?
    Thank you

2. 2015/11/12
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi papernpaste, This should be the info you require:
    Transfer files and settings from another computer

I've used a 'special' USB cable to transfer Data between my wifes XP and the new W8.1 I built for her.
    MS were selling the USB Transfer cable in the US a couple of years ago. I purchased mine on the net.
    You cannot connect a Male to Male USB cable between two computers unless you have a fire extinguisher handy!!! :eek:
    You will need to source the correct type of Transfer Cable (has a Controller Module in the cable) otherwise severe damage may occur to your comps. Neil.

papernpaste likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/13
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Most Ethernet connections made in the last 10 years or so are auto-sensing such that you don't need a special cross-over cable. The system knows when connected to another computer versus connected to a switch.

But, IMO, your best bet would be to remove the drive from your old computer and install it as a secondary drive in your new computer, or install it into an enclosure or docking station attached to your new computer, then copy the files over.

Bill,
    papernpaste likes this.
  5. 2015/11/13

Thanks, Bill. What a great link. I wondered how I would connect a HD that I had removed out of another computer. The link is super!

Will this work for a HD out of a 32bit computer as well as one out of a 64 bit computer?

Thanks a bunch...gettin' any snow?

6. 2015/11/13
    Bill

The bit rate has absolutely nothing to do with it. All you need to worry about, in terms of compatibility of the docking station, is the hard drive's size (3.5" and 2.5 ") and interface (SATA or EIDE/PATA).

After that, the only other issue would be the file system used to format the drive (though this has to do with your operating system, not the docking station). But unless these drives are REALLY old and formatted using FAT16, that will not likely be a problem either.

I really like docking stations over enclosures. For me, being able to easily swap drives in and out makes a docking station invaluable. In my mind, and again for me, if I need a permanent solution, I will just install the drive inside the computer as opposed to an enclosure. Enclosures may be the perfect solution for others, but not me.

No snow here in Eastern Nebraska, but it was 33°F this AM so Winter is definitely coming. Up to 55° now so out to take care of the leaves in a bit.

Bill,
    papernpaste likes this.
  7. 2015/11/13

Thanks for the info, Bill. If it's okay, I'll "friend" you. That way, I can pick your brain from time-to-time. We're about the same temp, today...back to mid-sixties next week...love El Ninio. (can't get a ~ over the N without changing the language and we both know that ain't happinin' ) :)

8. 2015/11/13
    Bill

Sure you can. El Niño. See?

You just need to know the ASCII code.

With Numlock on, for ñ you hold down the alt key and press 0241 on your number keypad. For Ñ, it is 0209.

FTR:
    € = 0128
    ¢ = 0162
    £ = 156 or 0163
    ¿ = 168
    µ = 230
    ± = 241 or 0177
    ≥ = 242
    ≤ = 243
    ° = 248
    Note that most ASCII charts leave off the leading 0 when the code is 4 digits long. I have no clue why. So if the chart says 241 and you really want ñ, you need to enter 0241 or else you will get ±.

Bill,
    papernpaste likes this.
  9. 2015/11/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

And for those who forget the keyboard combos, one can use Character Map to copy + paste special chars and unusual symbols.

papernpaste likes this.
  10. 2015/11/22
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

While friending is fine, please pick peoples brain here on the board where everybody can see what is going on. That way we ALL learn or maybe can remember the answer to a question if it should arise and maybe fix a problem for us or help somebody else.

Thanks.

papernpaste likes this.
  11. 2015/11/22
    Bill

Sorry, I forgot to answer this but I would not have said anything different than MrBill - except maybe to say that I don't provide help except in the "open" forums because that is what forums are all about - a place where everyone can participate, learn and share what we know.

papernpaste likes this.