1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Removing system files from a restored image

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Moorty, 2015/10/07.

1. 2015/10/07
    Moorty Lifetime Subscription

Moorty Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I restored an Windows 7 image from an Acronis true image to my current windows 10. I find that that was a mistake. I only needed the documents and files instead of the whole image. Now I have trouble getting rid of the Windows, Programs, etc. system files from the image, after I got my documents and other files. No matter how much I try to change permissions to gain full control (sometimes I am not even allowed to do that), I get the same error message: access denied; I need permissions from DESKTOP\..... Of course, I am the administrator.

Is there way to get past these error messages to delete these system folders and files (there is about 150 gbs of stuff there!)

I thought there was some utility that could achieve this; but the ones I saw would restore the permissions to defaults; that wouldn't help me get rid of the files.

2. 2015/10/07
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Moorty likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/07

Oh, Evan, your suggestion worked like a charm. Most of 177 gbs have been deleted. Only Macromedia *.ocx files couldn't be removed by this method. About 34 mbs remain, in System 32 and SysWOW64 folders. The files themselves are short; but the remaining must be hidden files.

I can live with that, unless you have a method you can suggest to get rid of them.

Phew, what a relief!

Thank you so much.

5. 2015/10/07

The error messages I get for these folders and files are the same as before: "Access denied; you need permission....

6. 2015/10/08
    Evan Omo

Try seeing if you can remove those files if you boot the computer into Safe Mode, and then see if you can take ownership of them to remove them.

7. 2015/10/09

I tried to get into by pressing F8 key and holding before the Windows 10 logo came on. But it wouldn't give me access to safe mode. I learned on the web that in Windows 10 that boot possibility has been disabled and that enable it. I used the administrative command prompt to put in the command "bcd edit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" and enter, but still the safe mode was not enabled after reboot.

I am stuck there.

8. 2015/10/09
    Evan Omo

You should be able to access Safe Mode after entering the bcd edit command from command prompt but if the F8 method is still not working then use this method instead How to Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode.

9. 2015/10/10

I did finally get into Windows by Safe Mode and repeated the procedure -- claiming ownership and deleting folders and files -- but alas, it's the same result: access to folder denied; permission from desktop\... needed.

10. 2015/10/10
    Evan Omo

Try downloading and running Unlocker and see if that program will allow you to remove the rest of those files.

Moorty likes this.
  11. 2015/10/10

Oh, Evan, thank you so much. Yes, The Unlocker enabled me to delete the remainder of the folders and files without a trace.

You have been very helpful.

Thanks again.

12. 2015/10/10
    Evan Omo

You are welcome. :)