1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 10 - odd surprises

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by fdamp, 2015/09/19.

1. 2015/09/19
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I downloaded W-10, intending to install it later. To my annoyance, it went all the way through to a full installation. The first surprise was that the initialisation failed 6 times, with six different routines that "failed to load ". When it finally succeeded, it had the new "Edge" browser activated.

Initially, it looked like that would be an improvement over IE 11. As I went into more depth, I found one major issue that is going to cause a lot of indigestion around here!

My wife is a crossword enthusiast and, for several years, I've been downloading and printing hard copies of the daily "Newsday "and MSN Games puzzles for her. I always went through IE to get the MSN puzzle, since MSN wouldn't let Google in, and also got the Newsday puzzle (which is Java based) on IE11.

With Win-10, using Edge, the MSN puzzle tried to use a "flash print" program that didn't recognise that my printer was on-line. To my surprise, after I copied the URL over to Google, MSN Games accepted it and I was able to print a copy.

Success was short lived, though, as neither Edge nor Google can get the Newsday puzzle because Win 10 will not run Java, because it "doesn't accept plug-ins ". It looks like access to Newsday is permanently lost unless I go back to Win 8.1. I'm not sure an iPad will be able to get the Newsday puzzle as it doen't have Java either.

Can anyone suggest a work-around?

Last edited: 2015/09/19
  2. 2015/09/19
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Frank. You can open up IE11 in Windows 10. Just type Internet Explorer in the search box and open the browser. Then use IE11 to view the MSN puzzle.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/09/19
    fdamp

Evan:

It's not the MSN Games puzzle that's the problem. It's the Newsday one that's a Java-based item.

As far as I can tell, unless I revert to Win 8.1, all "plug-ins ", like Java, are off limits.

Maybe I'll bag the whole POS and go back to XP! I heartily disliked 8.1. Alternatively, I could sell my new Windows lap-top and switch to Apple. I've used Microsoft since Windows 3.0 and every update those encephallophallics in Redmond have come up with since XP has been more complicated, less productive and a bigger disaster than its predecessor. It doesn't look like the track record is going to change with Win-10. I don't think MS understands that their customer base isn't entirely composed of skilled nerds like them, but is a consumer (non-technical) community.

Time to bail out??

5. 2015/09/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hey Frank, are you saying the younger generation has got to you? Neil.

6. 2015/09/20
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

Have you tried the firefox browser to get the puzzle? That might do it for you

7. 2015/09/20
    fdamp

Since it's Win 10 itself that won't allow Java sites, according to Java's customer support site, I doubt that switching to a different browser will make any difference. The only option to get Java-based sites to run would be to revert to Win 8.1 or earlier.

Since my lap-top came with 8.1 installed and it was overwritten by W-10, I'm not sure I can go back.

Bottom line - if you regularly use Java-based sites, DO NOT update to Windows 10.

8. 2015/09/20
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

I used firefox and did a search on newsday puzzle.

found it but had to print it as a PDF file, used the button labeled "Puzzle" at
    the bottom of the page and it printed fine from adobe reader (just make sure
    you get adobe reader from the official site). Printer is Canon MP610 if it matters.

Did not try with MS Edge (i never use it).

At least this will get you a printed copy of the puzzle.

good luck,

9. 2015/09/20
    fdamp

clif:

I normally access the puzzle by going through the Seattle Times web-site. The paper includes the daily Newsday puzzle. I'll try your method and see if I can access it as a .pdf.

10. 2015/09/20
    retiredlearner

Here's a good read on JAVA. You don't need Java
    W8.1 & W10 Security is the reason for banning Java. You can install if you want it but you compromise the OS Security. Neil.

11. 2015/09/21
    fdamp

I've figured out a way to get the Newsday crossword, so DW is happy. I go directly to Newsday.com and when I click on the crossword, it comes up as a .pdf. Unfortunately, there's no way to print it directly, as it seems to block the off-side toolbars.

I saved it as a .pdf file within my file system, then printed from there.

Another quirk I spotted today is that Edge doesn't pick up our e-mails. I have to open IE to get them. Edge is destined for the scrapyard!! Probably, if I revert to IE11 it will handle the .pdf correctly. I also noticed that the boxes at the bottom of the block (Edit Message, Reply with quote and Quick Reply) no longer show their function until you put the mouse pointer over them.

Last edited: 2015/09/21
  12. 2015/09/21
    retiredlearner

I've just gone to http://www.newsday.com/ and opened the puzzle in pdf. and printed using the print icon on the upper right of the pdf page. I've even printed the solution page.
    I use Mozilla Firefox in W10 Pro 64bit - no problems. Neil.

13. 2015/09/29
    fdamp

Yet another surprise yesterday. Win 10 no longer recognises the URL for IE11. When I click on it, it takes me to MSN.com.

I was able to get the other e-mail address transferred to Google Chrome, so I can now read the contents of both e-mail addresses. I guess Chrome is now my only browser, unless I go pick up one of the other non-Microsoft ones.

I'll be removing the Edge icon from the task-bar along the bottom of the screen, probably along with the "Store" and "task view" icons