1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Second Monitor not detected W10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DDow, 2015/09/13.

1. 2015/09/13
    DDow

DDow Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have just purchased W10 Home and installed it on its own partition on a second hard drive, so I can dual boot W7 or W10.
    In W7 I am using two monitors succesfully.
    In W10 the first monitor works, but in "display" the second monitor is not detected.
    They are connected to a GeForce GT430, with updated drivers.
    In W7 device manager it is working fine.
    In W10 device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the GT430 which says the device has a code 43 error and has been stopped.
    How can it work in one OS and not in the other. I would love to get the two monitors working in W10 (and adjustable within the display settings option),
    Any help or suggestions much appreciated,
    Regards
    David D

DDow,
  2. 2015/09/14
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Well, I am not using dual monitors with a dual-boot system, but I am using dual monitors with W10 Pro 64-bit and a NVIDIA graphics card and it does work great. Since your card works with W7, the problem suggests issues with your installed W10 drivers, not Windows 10 or the card itself. This explains how it can work in one OS and not the other.

If me, from the W10 side I would uninstall the W10 drivers completely, reboot, and install them again (using the "clean install" option) and see what happens.

You said you have the latest drivers but just to be sure, check to make sure here.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/09/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

5. 2015/09/15
    DDow

Thanks Bill and Neil.
    Have tried just about all the above suggestions. This seems to be a common problem with W10 and NVIDIA.
    In Device manager I see my Ge Force GT 430 but with a yellow exclamation mark that then says Windows has stopped this device as it has a code 43 problem. (it works perfectly when booted in W7)

DDow,
  6. 2015/09/15
    retiredlearner

I had no problems with my Nvidia drivers when I upgraded, but I have received W10 compatible drivers from Nvidia since the upgrade. The link Bill Posted should detect and update to W10 for you. Neil.

7. 2015/09/15
    Bill

What told you that? Got a link? As both of us have now noted, we've had no problems.

Bill,
  8. 2015/09/15
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

9. 2015/09/15
    mickzer

mickzer Well-Known Member

Same as that.
    mickzer

10. 2015/09/20
    DDow

Thank you all for these observations.
    I decided in the end to format the partition W10 was on and do a standard fresh install of W10, with the automatic update loading what ever I need.
    The result is the same, w7 I can use both screens, in W10 only one screen is used and detected. with the code 43 error in device manager.
    So all in all no progress made.
    I have read it may need a BIOS update but I am too scared to try that.
    W10 seems a good OS but I am getting fed up with this issue
    Regards
    DD

DDow,
  11. 2015/09/20
    Bill

I would sure try a different graphics card before upgrading the BIOS. That's where your error is being indicated and error 43, while fairly generic, does typically point to the graphics card, or its driver.

I would only flash the BIOS IF the change log for the BIOS update says it corrects problems running multiple monitors. And to that, I don't see how it would. The BIOS is for "Basic" Input/Output System and "basic" does not include "advanced" features like multi-monitor support. The BIOS is for before the OS and graphics drivers are installed. And since we know W10 supports multi-monitors, that leaves your card.

You might try one more time re-installing the driver, only this time make sure you totally remove the old driver(s) first using the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Then reinstall using the Recommended/Certified Windows 10 Driver -WHQL (currently Ver 353.62).

12. 2015/09/20
    SpywareDr

13. 2015/09/20
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Is this the computer listed in your system specifications? Is windows 10 activating?

Last edited: 2015/09/20
  14. 2015/09/20
    retiredlearner

A very good question lj50. Thread Starters System Details do not line up with what he is telling us.
    Googling shows that this can be due to Drivers.
    Most people with the problem found that shutting down the comp and then Starting again (not Restart) enabled the monitor/s to be recognized.
    Others found that uninstalling the Graphics Drivers in Device Manager and getting Windows certified drivers fixed their problems.
    David have you used Troubleshooting in W10 to remedy your problem? Neil.

15. 2015/09/21
    DDow

Sorry guys but lots of things to do in the next few days, so will attend to your suggestions in a couple of days.
    My apologies for misleading you with the "My System" for my old PC, now deceased.
    My system now is (will modify the list when I find out how)
    Novatech iRush PC, Intel i5-2400@3.1Ghz. 12.0GB installed RAM. Nvidia Ge Force GT430.
    Foxconn H67M series motherboard. 4 Hard drives, various. W7 Pro 64 bit and W10 Home 64 bit. Flatron L1742T and Novatech (daewoo) NC2210B
    W10 is activated and running and performing well except for the display problem

16. 2015/09/21
    SpywareDr

17. 2015/09/22
    DDow

353.62 is installed and listed in Device manager under the GeForce GT430 properties. Same problem. I will now try Bills suggestion,
    Troubleshooting gives me a "problem detected with NVIDIA GeForce GT430" and then tells me it's a code 43 error.
    I turned the PC off, disconnected the non recognised monitor, turned the PC on and then plugged the monitor in, to see if the "new hardware" note would appear, but no luck.
    I would buy a new graphics card but there is no guarantee I would not get the same result, especially as the W7 side works perfectly. I don't know a huge amount about computers, but my logic tells me the graphics card is fine, and we just need to track down the mismatch/incompatability. I even had MS take over my W10 side a week a go, and they removed drivers, reloaded drivers etc over a 40 minute period with no improvement.
    Thanks for bearing with me,
    I've just noticed that on the NVIDIA web site forums, it seems to show that the GeForce GT430 does not support DirectX 12 (May not have released the WDDM2.0 drivers for DX12 Fermi/Kepler cards). Don't understand any of that. https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-series/can-geforce-gt-420-m-use-directx-12-/

I have faith in you all,
    DD

Last edited: 2015/09/22
  18. 2015/09/25
    DDow

Not sure what else to try guys, or retry ?
    Very annoying, so at the moment I am predomonately using W7, and only W10 to explore its new potential,
    Regards
    DD
    PS it was Foxconn that suggested I should flash the BIOS but I don't think they were that interested.

19. 2015/09/25
    retiredlearner

Interesting report from a Review:
    You may need to upgrade your card as other reviews I read noted the card seemed to start giving trouble after a couple of years. Overheating and fans failing. Power consumption with maximum usage may be stressing your PSU.
    If you have installed the latest driver did you try swapping the cable and the connectors? The card has 1x VGA and 1x DVI? There may be a pin problem in a connector. Neil.

20. 2015/09/25
    SpywareDr

21. 2015/09/25
    DDow

Thanks Neil.
    I bought this PC for its spec and speed, which I hoped would last me a lot of years. I do not do gaming so I would think overheating etc would not be a problem. I use it in W10 for the same stuff as in W7 and it works fine in 7. I have swapped the cables over on the back of the PC (Graphics Card) and then the functional monitor changes over. Again both work in W7 perfectly together.
    Thanks Doc, will try and digest that link, and see. The solutions seem to work for some and not for others. There does seem to be a problem out there, but no-one is owning up.
    I have just had MS take over my PC again and spend 90 mins or so loading and unloading drivers etc, but were beaten, and now I have been upgraded to a level 2 Technician who will contact me on Sunday !! Here's hoping you guys can help first,
    Help much appreciated
    David D
    RRUUnchained in Docs link wrote "The problem is with Nvidia's drivers, so there is nothing we can do until Nvidia releases a driver that fixes the problems people are currently having with Windows 10. I have a GTX 770 + GTX 460 (PhysX), and my GTX 460 has got the code 43 error. I know that both my cards work perfectly, because when either of them are used individually, there are no problems (aside from the in-game stuttering, and fps issues that so many other Nvidia users have reported with Windows 10).

Last edited: 2015/09/25