1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Will Win 10 still be free for those who already have it in the future?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dave205, 2015/09/03.

1. 2015/09/03
    dave205

dave205 Active Member Thread Starter

Hi all. I was wondering something, and I googled the question and really didn't come up with an answer so I will ask here in the hopes someone knows. If this is not the right section in the forum to post this question I apologize and please move it if need be.

I was wondering (hypothetically of course) what if my computer breaks down beyond repair a year from now (or more), when I get a replacement, and if it doesn't have Windows 10 pre-installed, will I be able to get another copy for free since I already had one on my previous computer, maybe via the records Microsoft may have that I already had a free copy installed or will I have to pay for a new copy since the free upgrade period would be over? Just wondering because right now the computer I have was purchased brand new back in December so I'm sure if I take care of it well enough it should last me a good couple of years, but anything can happen needless to say. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

2. 2015/09/03
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

AFAIK Win10 would reinstall without any problem on the same hardware but if you change the hardware substantially, like motherboard or LAN card, it would refuse to activate.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/09/03
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

If I'm not mistaken - the free copy of Win 10 program ends July 29, 2016.

It's a promotional thing and MS can't afford to do it forever.

But a year from now - it'd be hard to find a new pc that comes with anything else but Win 10.

5. 2015/09/03
    dave205

Thanks for the info so far guys. I agree with you Steve, chances are a year or more form now it's quite possible that all new PC's will already have Win10 installed. I know that according to what I have seen, Win10 retails for around $119.00 so that's not seriously expensive. Just was curious if, like I stated, I already have a copy installed, would I have that privilege of getting a free copy for life? Not expecting them to do the free thing forever by no means at all. It's great of them that they have done this at all. I for one so far, am enjoying the OS no major issues with it so far.

6. 2015/09/03
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

7. 2015/09/03
    dave205

Thanks for that link. I think that pretty much answers my question. So if by chance my computer decides to take a nose dive on me after the free time is up, I'll have to purchase Win10. But, As Steve pointed out, by that time, chances are any new PC out there will have Win10 already installed. Thanks again.

8. 2015/09/03
    SpywareDr

9. 2015/09/03
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Windows 10 is available in New computers now. If your comp blows up :eek: - you purchase a new one with W10 and then download from the 'Cloud' all your data you had stored on your old comp! ;)
    The info from Susan Bradley is also stated by MS regarding FREE and future installs. The FREE period is very clearly stated and ends July 2016.
    Why would MS want to extend it further??? Neil.

10. 2015/09/04
    SpywareDr

11. 2015/09/04
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

ONLY if you need to "purchase" a new computer or an "upgraded" motherboard. If the old motherboard dies and is replaced under warranty, you will not need to purchase a new W10 license.

So will all W10 owners. But whether Apple or MS, only on their current computer. If they buy a new Apple computer (or "upgrade" the motherboard), they too will need to buy a new OS license.

So current W10 users will get free OS upgrades during the life of the computer - just like Apple users.

12. 2015/09/04
    SpywareDr

Apple provides free operating system upgrades over the life of the device. Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said "our primary reason for doing it ... is we want it to become part of what it means to own a Mac and to own an iOS device. "

13. 2015/09/04
    Bill

Right. And that is how Microsoft if now doing it with Windows 10. It is just important to understand that the "device" here boils down to the motherboard (whether Apple or MS) because a new motherboard is considered a new computer (device) - unless, again, the new motherboard is an exact replacement done as part of a repair as then the same CPU, RAM, chipset, etc. are used. An upgraded motherboard typically requires a different (and newer generation) CPU and RAM - among other things.

14. 2015/09/04
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

The above statement is true only for branded computers. If you have, like me, a self assembled computer you would require a new Win10 license.

15. 2015/09/04
    Bill

Not true. I built all of my computers (except my notebook). If the motherboard dies in one of my computers AND it is still under warranty and the maker sends me a new motherboard via RMA, then I do NOT need a new license because I am replacing (not upgrading) the motherboard with the same brand and model as part of a repair action.

Just because you built itself really means nothing - except the brand is now "rsinfo" and not Dell or HP. This is because you are the "System Builder ".

16. 2015/09/04
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

That's a grey area. As you are replacing the motherboard, the ethernet LAN MAC address would also change. MS uses MAC address as one of the most important variable to authenticate your pc. If it changes, the Windows may not validate.

Windows 10 upgrade is tied to your system. You are granted license to use it till the life of the computer. So if the motherboard goes kaput, I think that's it. Retail & OEM packs may be a different story though.

Last edited: 2015/09/04
  17. 2015/09/05
    Bill

It really isn't.

Sorry, but none of that is true at all.

The MAC address never makes it past the first networking device between you and the internet. This is typically your router, a WAP (wireless access point) or your modem. It is NOT sent across the Internet.

And note that many modern motherboards, including my Gateway here, have two 1Gbit/sec NICs build in so I can connect to two networks at once. Each have separate MAC addresses. Look at notebooks; most today have two network adapters, one Ethernet and one wireless - again with two different MAC addresses.

And you can easily add a real NIC (network interface "card ").

But regardless, the only MAC address my modem sees is that of my router. And the only MAC address seen by my ISP is that of my cable modem. And it then changes with each hop from there.

Plus, most routers today let you change (clone) the MAC address and not used the one set in a devices firmware. This is commonly done in DHCP networks to ensure a new device gets the same IP address.

See Ask Leo!, Can a MAC address be traced? and for more information, see Cable MODEM troubleshooting tips.

If you swap out many devices in your computer, you may end dramatically changing the hash sum, but even if that triggers a re-authentication, that is not the same as triggering the need for a new license.

But with newer UEFI systems and W10 that will not matter as the Win10 key will be stored in the system's firmware at installation so only a replacement of the board itself will force a re-authentication. And in that case, the motherboard will have to be an exact replacement as part of a repair done under warranty or else a new license will be required.