1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Missing folders in Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by Jolly Roger, 2015/08/30.

1. 2015/08/30
    Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger Inactive Thread Starter

Having restored Windows7 after issues with Windows10, I have lost all my emails together with Storage Folders in Windows Live Mail.
    I cannot find any relevant thread on this forum.

If I right click a recent email to 'move to folder', all the folders are there, just not on the Home page.
    If I type Windows Live Mail in 'search' all emails are there. If I inspect the path, it is C:\Users\{my name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage folders.

However, if I try to follow this path to 'restore' or 'import' I cannot get any further than my name. In other words, there is no AppData file.

Any ideas?

UPDATE
    I clicked on 'Folders' in Windows Live Mail and 'Go To'. Clicked on one of the folders and all the rest appeared on the Home page!
    I still havn't managed to get my Sent Items or Inbox back yet.

Last edited: 2015/08/30
  2. 2015/08/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Jolly Roger, Please look through this MS link:
    Recovery options in Windows 10

Expand > Go back to your Previous Version of Windows > NOTE > obviously some Windows programs won't always work properly when you use the option to go back. Th MS suggested procedure is to re-install from the Store. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/30
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Have you tried repairing Live Mail in Programs and Features?

5. 2015/08/31
    Jolly Roger

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I have tried to repair Windows Live Essentials and still no Inbox or sent Items are appearing.
    Any ideas anyone, why I cannot find an AppData file? Maybe it got lost in the move back to W7?

6. 2015/08/31
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The AppData folder is hidden. C:\Users\Your User Name. Click on Organize\Folder and Search Options\View. Click on Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Click Apply and then Ok. That should show the AppData folder.

lj50,
    Jolly Roger likes this.
  7. 2015/08/31
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

If this is a Hotmail account, you can delete the account, re-create it, and all of your folders should re-download again (provided you elected to save copies of your messages online).

At least that's been my experience with it.

8. 2015/09/22
    Jolly Roger

Brilliant! Thanks lj50. After following your instructions and after a bit of searching, I have found all the folders I thought had been lost.
    Thanks again.

9. 2015/09/22
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You're welcome. Is everything working now.

lj50,