1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Installation in 7 vs. 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jshaw42, 2015/08/29.

1. 2015/08/29
    jshaw42

jshaw42 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I installed Windows 10 on my laptop which had 8.1, 64-bit with absolutely no problems. It only took about an hour. All my programs (including Office 2003) were maintained and work perfectly.

I now am deciding to upgrade my desktop with 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, that has all the same programs installed. My hesitation is due to the age of the desktop. It was built in 2009.

Does anyone have any experience in this area they could share?

2. 2015/08/29
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What are the System Specification of the computer in question? If you do not know the specs download Speccy

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/29
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi jshaw42. Chances are that the Windows 7 system will work on Windows 10 but you should make sure that the drivers will work on Windows 10 first. Use Speccy that LJ linked to and post the details of your Windows 7 system in your next reply.

5. 2015/08/29
    jshaw42

Thanks lj50. Here's what I get:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    Computer type: Desktop
    Installation Date: 2/15/2010 4:03:49 PM
    Serial Number: GR93W-4PDWW-J7Q4B-6HKJK-48K7G
    Windows Security Center
    User Account Control (UAC) Disabled
    Firewall Enabled
    Windows Update
    AutoUpdate Notify prior to download
    Windows Defender
    Windows Defender Disabled
    Antivirus
    Antivirus Enabled
    Company Name Microsoft
    Display Name Microsoft Security Essentials
    Product Version 4.8.204.0
    Virus Signature Database Up to date
    .NET Frameworks installed
    v4.5 Full
    v4.5 Client
    v3.5 SP1
    v3.0 SP2
    v2.0 SP2
    Internet Explorer
    Version 11.0.9600.17959
    PowerShell
    Version 2.0
    Java

6. 2015/08/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Why don't you just do the MS check? It will tell you whether the comp is compatible with W10.
    The info you posted doesn't show the Hardware in your comp.
    The Software and Programs that will not work in W10 can be re-installed after the Upgrade, but if you a Hardware that won't work - that will be the decider. Neil.
    P.S. I see that Windows Defender is disabled. I would strongly advise that you uninstall any other AV you are using and enable Defender which should give a trouble free install of W10 if everything else is OK.
    You can change after the install and after updates have been installed.

Last edited: 2015/08/29
    jshaw42 likes this.
  7. 2015/08/30
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Right. Do you have the little white W10 icon in your W7 system tray? Did you reserve your copy?

Have you been keeping Windows 7 fully updated? If you were allowed to reserve your copy, then Windows Update has determined your system is compatible with W10. That's no guarantee you will not have problems but the vast majority, by far, have been trouble free - especially with PCs (because PCs tend to conform to ATX standards compared to notebooks which are often proprietary).

I would still recommend you backup any data you don't want lost just in case something does happen in the middle of the upgrade. But if you have been "practicing safe computing" and keeping Windows 7 fully updated, I would anticipate no problems.

Bill,
    jshaw42 likes this.
  8. 2015/08/30
    jshaw42

Thanks for the help everyone. If I understand correctly, I should uninstall Malwarebytes and activate Defender.

I do have the W10 Icon and have reserved my copy. W7 is totally up to date. I keep all my data on separate hard drives plus backup daily to my NAS. So there should be no problem there. My concern was the programs I have had on the W7 computer and the W7 laptop. The W8 laptop was a breeze in that all the programs I had installed worked perfectly after W10. From what I see in this thread, that should be my same experience.

9. 2015/08/30
    Bill

Well, I had MBAM running on all my computers along with Windows Defender or MSE during the upgrade to W10 and did not have any problems. Windows Defender in W10 will be enabled by default.

Then you should be offered the update soon. I had 1 computer out of 5 that had not be upgraded yet, but this morning, the last holdout, a W7 PC got its update and so far, it appears everything is working as expected.

Bill,
    jshaw42 likes this.
  10. 2015/08/30
    jshaw42

Thanks, Bill. The W8 laptop was upgraded by my downloading it and putting it on a flash drive, not by the icon method. Now that I am used to the differences, I was hoping to do the same with the W7 machines rather than wait for the offering.

11. 2015/08/30
    Bill

Sounds like a plan!

12. 2015/09/05
    jshaw42

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded the desktop. No real glitches, yet. But, the process was a bit different. The restart times were a bit disconcerting in that they took so long and kept a black screen up for so long. I nearly shut down at one point (good thing I didn't).

To those considering the upgrade, do your homework. You will be a lot happier.

13. 2015/09/05
    Bill

I still see this occasionally happening on my notebook that was upgraded from W7. It does not happen every time so it is difficult to determine the cause. I am suspecting some setting or program or programs I had auto-starting with W7 I don't need or want with W10. But I am not ruling out a driver issue.

I get a totally blank screen and only when I wiggle the mouse or swipe the touch pad do I see the spinning cursor. Then it finally fully boots and everything works perfectly - until the next time. I suspect this is something Microsoft will sort out as more and more users migrate to W10.