1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Event Viewer won't open

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Micros, 2015/08/11.

1. 2015/08/11
    Micros

Micros Inactive Thread Starter

I know we have slightly different issues with event viewer, mine won't run at all. But coincidentally, while reading up on command line commands, I came across one for dealing with the event viewer, and got this return:

The Windows Event Log service is starting.
    The Windows Event Log service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

The system cannot find message text for message number 0x1069 in the message file for (null).

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 4201.

>NET HELPMSG 4201

The instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI data provider.

Does that mean anything to anyone? I don't know very much about the Windows Management Interface (that is what "WMI" stands for, right?).

2. 2015/08/11
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

If you boot the computer into Safe Mode, does Event Viewer open successfully without any errors?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/09/04
    Micros

No, it does the same error. The event log app opens, but reports that the "event log service is not running ", the same as it does when not in safemode. Obviously, the event log app shows blank. I think that means it's not recording anything at all.

I do run the MRT from time to time, but it never finds any kind of infection. I did get the saliny virus once, a while back, but I cleaned that out, and haven't seen any traces of it since. I suppose that could have done it, but it should not still be doing anything now, and everything else saliny did (killed the taskman, for instance) is fixed.

5. 2015/09/04
    Evan Omo

Lets try this fix to get Event Viewer working.

Click Start< type Command Prompt in the search box, right click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.

After the Command Prompt window opens type the following commands and press enter after typing in each one:

net stop winmgmt You will be prompted to Press Y to stop the WMI Instrumentation service so please do so.

cd C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI

rename RtBackup RtBackup2

exit

Once those commands have been entered, reboot the computer and see if Event Viewer opens properly now.

6. 2015/09/04
    Micros

Thanks, that did it!
    I had a look around in that wmi folder, I noticed there were only 2 files in the original, and the new one has 6 files in it. I wonder what's up with that? Now it'll be interesting to go through the last logs before it stopped making them (a year and a half ago) and see if anything looks suspicious. Something happened. But I'm calling this closed, since that fixed it, I'm sure that will lead me to whatever caused this, now that I know where to look.

7. 2015/09/04
    Evan Omo

Good to know. Thanks for the update. :)