1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Intellimouse Optical loses button setting on system startup or reboot

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by JSS3rd, 2015/08/03.

1. 2015/08/03
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member Thread Starter

I'm not sure that this post doesn't properly belong in the Software forum, but the majority of the posts there are malware related, which doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

I'm using MS Intellipoint 8.20.468.0 with my wired Intellimouse Optical which, as you may know, has five buttons. The left, right, left-side, and right-side buttons are all set to their default settings: left-click, right-click, back, and forward. The wheel button's default setting is middle-click (whatever that means), but I have it set to double-click.

Over the past couple of weeks (unfortunately, I don't have a prior System Restore point) when I boot the computer, even though the Control Panel's Mouse Properties page shows that the wheel button is set to double-click, the double-click function doesn't work. I have to wait for all of the many Intellipoint files to load before I can click on the Mouse Properties "OK" button, after which the double-click function works properly.

I uninstalled the Intellipoint program but, when I tried to reinstall it, I got an error message (sorry, I didn't write it down) telling me that the program couldn't be installed. Fortunately, I'd created a backup of my C: drive the day before, and was able to get back to "almost normal ".

This isn't a system-threatening problem, but it IS a nuisance I'd like to be rid of. Any ideas?

2. 2015/08/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Middle click opens a link in a new tab - saves a right click > open in new tab or whatever.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/03

Pete ...

Thanks for the info, but I'd rather have the double-click, and I'd like to have the setting stick, as it used to.

5. 2015/08/03
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

6. 2015/08/03

Hi Neil,

Unfortunately, it didn't fix mine. Using Revo Uninstaller Pro I went through the rather laborious process of uninstalling Intellipoint for the second time today, then tried to install Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center, but got a 1603 error.

After reinstalling the C: backup I created yesterday, I'm back to where I was before my original post. Guess I'll just have to live with my nuisance problem ... the "fix" is easy, it's just a bit time consuming. :(