1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Has Windows update gone Wacky??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by desertbluesman, 2015/08/01.

1. 2015/08/01
    desertbluesman

desertbluesman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Not only is it trying to install a Defender update to my Windows 8.1 laptop computer although it is running Avast, and will not install, but now on my XPSP3 laptop computer it is giving me a Malicious Software removal tool KB890830 it kept coming back and finally installed itself on my computer 4 times, and keeps wanting to install it again and again. Whats up with that?

2. 2015/08/01
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi desertbluesman. If the Malicious Software Removal Tool has already been installed then follow these steps to hide the update.

Click Start< All Programs< Windows Update. When the webpage for Microsoft Update loads, click the “Custom” button, and wait for the scan to complete. Uncheck the box next to each update you wish to hide. Check the “Hide this update” box underneath the update description to hide the update. Close the window when you are done.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/01
    desertbluesman

Thanks, I did all of that but now Windows update is telling me that I need to unhide an important update Windows Update has gone wacky in this house.

5. 2015/08/01
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Just ignore that message since that update has already been installed so I wouldn't worry about it.

6. 2015/09/29
    desertbluesman