1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Phone crashes completely when connecting to my router

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by Mel, 2015/08/01.

1. 2015/08/01
    Mel

Mel Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Im hoping maybe someone here can help me.

I have a netgear wireless router connecting all of my devices

This is not a brand new router - ive had it for 6 months or so.

my phone, which now crashes completely as soon as it connects to my network, is also not new. For those who speak android, no new ROMS, apps, or anything were installed, for about a couple of weeks before it crashed out on me wednesday night completely. nothing directly new to relate it to.

what happens is, ill turn on my wifi... it will connect to my network... and then total freezeup. nothing responds except the power button will turn the screen on or off (but no swype to unlock or anything, just literally the frozen screen i clicked off with)..... if i try to reboot, the same freezeup happens just after it connects to my network... i have to get into the phone super quickly and toggle off wifi before it connects, in order for my phone to function at all.

to have my phone "forget" all known networks... it has no problems having the wireless radio on, looking for signals (i just tried this)... its when it actually physically connects onto my network that the crapout happens...

can anyone think of any possible reason for this? router setting i need to change? something on the computer i need to change? something on my phone i can do (without downloading an app,,, since i cant download anything at all.)

i did a system restore on my phone to about a year ago when i got it. that worked.... for a day.

originally it crapped out while trying to play my family guy game, so i thought it was a bad version of the game and i needed to await an update, only to go back in and learn that my phone has a new bug of completely crapping out when wifi is on and connected.....

im asking here hoping theres something at the router level that i can do, since restoring my phone only worked for a day, clearly, something *else* is wrong...

any advice at all is extremely appreciated.

my phone is running touchwiz based 4.0.4 if that matters at all...

ETA: Just now i tried a different router, same result.... i also tried the same router, but with the cable that actually feeds the internet to the router unplugged... and my phone connected to the internal network just fine without freezing....

this makes even less sense now....

help!

Last edited: 2015/08/01
    Mel,
  2. 2015/08/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you tried clearing your phone cache? For anyone else looking in it will pay to give us more info on your system - Make/Model/ISP etc. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/01
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

You running A/V on the phone? Sounds like it is infected....

Arie,
  5. 2015/08/01
    Mel

Oh yeah, tried clearing cache and dalvik cache, still nothing.

the only thing that did work was the restore i did to it... for about a day and a half.

i dont have any AV on it, but i cant get anything that way onto it in its current state... if i could anyway which is most recommended? i never intstalled any initially since i had heard that as long as you stay away from like internet banking on public servers, youre okay...... and i dont bank on my phone anyway. as personal as it gets is facebook. but again thats only on my home secured router

its a samsung captivate glide, ISP is Teksavvy but im not sure that matters... its a cable connection

if it wasnt for the physical qwerty i would have no issues getting a new phone, and the new battery i just bought for it and the countless cases i have for this model, but you cant find physical qwerty anymore... anywhere, ever.

but like i said, same router, same internet, same phone, and phone even has same OS on it... nothing was new.

its even more baffling to me how it will connect to the network just fine, but the instant you actually plug in the internet ethernet cable, it craps out...

phone has been able to handle internet just fine before.... i know its not a ram issue, especially now, since i have deleted almost everything i had that uses internet (bigger games).... so ram is basically running at factory, that plus it did work before so, i know it does work with no issues. *normally*

i scanned both computers just the other day for viruses... both game back clean. but just to be safe i even unplugged my XP machine from the router and tried again..... same result

Last edited: 2015/08/01
    Mel,
  6. 2015/08/01
    retiredlearner

Hi Mel, Your Internet cable connects from your ISP's box to your wireless/modem/router correct?
    Your Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-i927 phone is connecting wirelessly (WiFi) to your Router/Modem.
    Your phone originally was running Android Gingerbread 2.3.5 and it may be updated to KitKat 4.4.2.
    Touchwiz 4.0.4 is an App that is used in various versions on all Samsung phones.
    Yes you should use an Anti-virus software on your phone if you are downloading any Data/Apps etc.
    If you go > Settings > More > About Devices > your Android version should be displayed.
    I suspect from your description that the fault lies between your router and your ISP's connection box, ie. cable or connections. This normally Cat5 or 6 cable.
    Is this your Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-i927 Owners Manual:http://www.att.com/support_static_files/manuals/Samsung_Captivate_Glide.pdf Neil.

7. 2015/08/01
    Mel

Yes, ISP Cable to modem. Although technically we could make it so that it goes ISP to digital home phone, and then from home phone into router as well. Right now we just have the home phone (digital, called tektalk) directly into the router. But up until recently everything has been working, so i dont suspect that its the setup of the wires... although i could try the different hookup and see what happens...

yes phone connecting wirelessly... I wonder if the USB cable would/could work? hmm... at least to be able to get an antivirus on there...

Yes, that is my owners manual. I am from canada but i bought the phone carrier unlocked (and rooted as it turned out)... im afraid to do a full factory reset and lose both of those but especially the carrier unlock. since i didnt unlock it i wouldnt know how to re-unlock it.

Just to see what would happen, i just tried a neighbours network... same freezing error... different ISP (cogeco)... so it seems to not be a matter of cords, or modems, or routers or any of that.... its the phone itself. now the question is *why*... if my computers tested negative for viruses, i dont get it....

especially if a network is fine, but as soon as actual internet becomes involved.... its too confusing.

ETA: Ok, this is really getting confusing.. even *tethering* via USB causes it to crash completely...

wow... MOBILE DATA freezes it up too!!! as a last resort i thought id use data to download avast and do a scan... even THAT doesnt work!! anything connecting me to the outside world besides basic cell reception KILLS my phone!!!! this is getting SO irritating!!

Last edited: 2015/08/02
    Mel,
  8. 2015/08/02
    retiredlearner

This link will probably answer some questions for you: Samsung Captivate Glide WiFi Problems

Another web site showed guys were having to replace (back to Dealer) the phones because they were losing wireless connection.
    You have nothing to lose if you are out warranty and the phone has been Rooted, go for a Factory Reset. I don't know whether it will revert to a "locked status" as my experience with a Huawei Ideos which had been "unlocked" from Optus Au. responded and worked OK after I did a Factory Reset on it. Neil.

9. 2015/08/03
    Mel

last night i did the same restore to a year ago... except this time while i still had wifi i had downloaded both avast and AVG

I scan with both now (wifi has resumed crapping out again), and my phone says its clean... with both programs

but yet the problem is recurring now, and wifi, 4g, tethering..... basically any function that connects me to the world outside completely craps out my phone... all of them!

i thought the restore, and especially the restore and downloading antivirus would fix it, or at least be able to tell me WHAT the problem is... avast will scan the wifi network, but of course this test now freezes up just the same cuz it has to turn on wifi to do so.... while it was still working this test did execute just fine with no errors....

its as soon as internet is connected... for 3g... or even my router, it will read it without the internet feed plugged in with no issues. but plug that in and it all goes to **** again. Id just hate to do a full fresh install and start right over just for it to all go to **** *again*....

this is really baffling.

so i feel more comfortable doing a factory reset since reading i wont lose unlock or root or my custom recovery....... but i guess im wondering is will it help me??? at all????

whatever this is is clearly not an infected device as some had thought.... something *else* is going wrong....

Mel,
  10. 2015/08/03
    retiredlearner

Don't run more than 1 (one) AV program - you will have conflicts which may give further problems. You NEVER should have more than 1 AV program installed and running even on a computer.
    I use Avast on my Huawei as it is a very low user of resources.
    Let's know how you get on after Factory Reset. Neil.

11. 2015/08/03
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Since we basically all but ruled out an infected device I'd say my next but would be a hardware problem with the phone.

12. 2015/08/03
    Mel

But if it was a hardware problem... i could see wither wifi *OR* 4g crapping out my phone... but both??? especially since i can reset to my last backup made and i am good to go for a day or so, both times i did... hardware issue would happen immediately, even after a restore, wouldnt it?

ETA: Im trying a last ditch effort... im going to try the second router i have laying around, connected to my windows 7 machine only (so my feed becomes this routers main feed, and a my computer becomes one of the secondary ports)... im trying this on the slight offchance that maybe the router itself in infected... and is possibly then what caused my device not to respond to further connections... i doubt it highly... but id like to know.

i never bothered to change the default admin or password on the router im meaning that may be infected.... this new one ive set up, thats the first thing i did was secure logging into it, and then secure the wireless connection... before i even attempted to hook onto it with my phone... Here goes probably nothing but i figured it was worth a try...

i am also currently making a backup of THIS setup. the recently restored one but tweaked the way i like it, but BEFORE everything crapped out... i guess well see with this new connection, if it does in fact, **** out or not. time will tell, about a day or so...

its still bare bones but i wanted my sms backup app on there (that i didnt have before), and my handcent sms... kept a few offline games.... basically nothing needing online access besides the play store for now... until i run it for some time without issues... then ill switch back to doing more online... for now im keeping it simple. .

Last edited: 2015/08/04
    Mel,
  13. 2015/08/04
    retiredlearner

Not necessarily. You may have a thermal disconnect with a circuit on one of the boards.
    I've currently got a Samsung Galaxy S4 dismantled to the point I will take the boards off ready to install a new digitizer/LCD front cover assy.
    When you use the phone there will be a temperature increase through the circuits which may cause an open circuit giving rise to your problem.
    This is why Arie and I are suggesting a Hardware problem. The parts are available and it's usually module replacement carried out by a competent repair person.
    Cost is what you will need to find out. You like the phone because of it's querty keyboard and from what I've seen on the web, Ebay and places like that may be your only source of replacement as it was never produced in large numbers. All the Best. Neil.

14. 2015/08/04
    Mel

As far as it heating up though... i never have kept wifi or data running at all times. both are always off unless im using it for something. ive had my phone warm up a bit playing games, but never excessively.

that also doesnt make 24 hours (or so) being okay without any issues, only to have issues follow later, make any sense. if i kept everything running and scanning all the time, i could absolutely see. but, i dont. if my phone is on for 24 hours, wifi might be used for half an hour, maybe 45 minutes. not even straight through. never in pocket (heating) or anything. when im comfortable that it will continue working anyway, with games. So while i do understand the theory... for my usage patterns i dont think it makes much sense. i hadnt even been doing any heavy gaming or other usage the day it originally stopped either... it was completely (seemingly anyway) random.

The hottest ive ever seen it get is like 85 degrees. after playing some games. its sitting at 77 degrees right now, "idle" besides cell reception.

im definitely not a "power hungry" user by far. i like to keep my battery at decent charge, but if i were to run it full to empty, i could easily get 3 days out of it, with my delicate amount of usage.

is there some (hopefully easy) tutorial to look into what youre referring to? or some app to detect it? (i doubt it but worth the asking) id rather check, if i could... i dont want to have my phone gone for 2 weeks for no reason...

Last edited: 2015/08/04
    Mel,
  15. 2015/08/05
    retiredlearner

I don't know whether you have Googled your problem but from what I've read, when the phone freezes it needs a trip to the repair man. Depending on what they have to do (get a quote first) I would not spend more than $150.00 if I really wanted that model phone. Neil.

16. 2015/08/05
    Mel

Going on 48 hours with my different router setup... something tells me the other router infected my phone in some way that was undetectable by the standard virus apps... or it might just be a matter of time... but its been alright...

I had googled my problem alot, but it seemed to be unique to my phone. i read about someones phone freezing on them only at school on wifi, but other ones were ok... mine was every possible connection...

Mel,
  17. 2015/08/05
    retiredlearner

So your Netgear Router may be infected/Faulty? Surely you have more than 6 months warranty with it?
    I'd go back to the supplier for a refund or replacement unit.
    Nice to know your old Router is handling the job and you don't have to toss the phone.
    My Samsung I just installed a new digitizer/LCD screen assy. into has Upgraded to Version 5.0.1 ICS and it's really cool. Neil.

18. 2015/08/06
    Mel

It actually didnt have a warranty at all for more than 30 days... but it was from a "second hand" store you could say... Factory Direct, a local store where, things arent used, but all things are final sale. I believe the one i have may have been a refurb. But the router itself was only like $25-$30 so i wasnt too worried about buying any additional warranties for it.

I know i have to get that one machine off of XP, thats gotta be the culprit... it has AVG on it but, with it being described as being full of security holes, who knows what might be on there that cant be detected by standard virus scanners.

i probably *could* do a full reset of my netgear router, change the default admin and passwords like i did with this older dilnk one, and be okay running just one, but i might just keep this other one running anyway... the reception seems better going from just the other room, rather than thru the basement to upstairs. my phones wireless anyway, the laptops seem to have stronger antennas.

I still may do a full factory reset/fresh install on my phone, since i dont have alot on there anyway, just to get rid of any files from programs i tried but deleted...

giving it a bit more time to make sure all is well first tho

Mel,
  19. 2015/08/06
    retiredlearner

I had a similar experience when I purchased a Freeview set top unit from Cash Converters Store about 3 years ago.
    The 1st unit I bought wouldn't work - took it back and spent another $20.00 to buy a better Model - worked but had problems. So I went back and got all my money back and went and bought a new unit which worked extremely well for about 2½ years - then got hit with a power surge and lost the digital display.
    This time I dumped the CRT TV and the Freeview box at a Hospice shop and went and purchased 19 inch LCD TV with built in Freeview and DVD player built in and it works great in my 'man cave'.
    You've got to bite the bullet at some stage as quite often 2nd hand stuff is someone else's gear gone past the use by date.
    I decided after these little hiccups to save up and buy new. Neil.

Last edited: 2015/08/06
  20. 2015/08/07
    Mel

UGh, so frusterated... was doing well since tuesday night on my new setup... now, friday afternoon, it decides i wants to **** out again!! Attached to the newer hooked up secure router...

ireally thought i had this licked, its so frusterating!!!

im gonna try a factory reset and fresh install now, but something tells me, the same thing will keep happening..... ugh

the only thing that changed was our power company shut off the power today.... last night even at 3am it was working just fine... just now, phone hadnt been used/not hot at all, (well roughly 330 this afternoon) was the first crapout.

so now begs the question why did it last longer this time?? If i factory wipe is it going to still **** out??

ive even had the XP machine unplugged from the other router since i started this new setup... just in case.

i really thought ihad it

Last edited: 2015/08/07
    Mel,