1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Copying Audio CD from portable player

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by LarryB, 2015/07/31.

1. 2015/07/31
    LarryB

LarryB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a defective silver audio CD that I want to try to fix. It is not a cosmetic issue, must be a manufacturing defect. It does play well on some devices and poorly on others. In this case, my home CD player and computer drive are both in the poor dept. My portable and car play it well.

I do have audio inputs on my computer and line out on the portable. Is there a way to copy the CD as a CD (with track timings, etc) using the portable as the source drive? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Larry

2. 2015/08/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi LarryB, Yes I've done this in XP days - vinyl disc through external record player connected to computer mic input using stereo plugs. I used a software program called Poldarts (Dutch mfg) and it worked well. Limited free use before you had to buy it.
    I then was able to use the burner to put the music on CD's.
    I believe that the free software called Audacity http://filehippo.com/download_audacity/ will enable filtering and clean up of sound so that you can burn to another disc.
    If you look in Youtube you will find clips on how to do it. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/01
    LarryB

Thanks. I will ck it out. It is not exactly what I was looking for but it could work!

5. 2015/08/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Use Audacity. Get the latest version here:
    http://web.audacityteam.org/

Connect the portable player to your sound card's LINE IN port, it should be a stereo port. Select the INPUT in Audacity and test recording. If all well, record the entire cd as 1 large file and split it up later, or record track by track. For best quality, save each track as a WAV file. They can then be used to create a quality sounding CD.

You can also use Audacity Edit > Select > All and File > Export > Export selection as mp3.

6. 2015/08/02
    LarryB

Thank you Tony. I will give that a try.