1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Touchpad constantly selecting items

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by psaulm119, 2015/07/30.

1. 2015/07/30
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

The last week or so, my touchpad has been selecting text, or icons of files or folders whenever I move my cursor anywhere.zThis is the case when I am in MS Word, or merely moving my cursor across the desktop. This problem doesnt appear when I plug in a mouse. I looked in my touchpad driver settings; I updated the driver from the OEM support page, but no change.

FWIW, I just reinstalled Windows 7 a couple of months ago, so I doubt it is a software problem...

Any suggestions? At this point, the laptop is almost 4 years old, and Id rather not shell out money for a new touchpad. I think Id rather buy a new laptop--but if there is a free solution before I go out and buy one, Im all ears.

Last edited: 2015/07/30
  2. 2015/07/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Paul, I thought there were adjustments available in Control Panel > Mouse > to fine tune and adjust sensitivity of the mouse?
    Also, if you are using a mouse - why not stop Touchscreen operation? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/30

I use a mouse when Im at home, but I use the touchpad when I have this laptop at work. When I have a mouse hooked up, I have the touchpad disabled automatically.

I didnt see any settings for the touchpad sensitivity. The mouse is fine, the problem is only when Im using the touchpad.

5. 2015/07/30
    retiredlearner

Hi Paul, I've just Upgraded to W10 Pro on this comp and I'm not sure whether your W7 has Troubleshooting in the Control Panel. Have you tried that? Neil.

6. 2015/07/31

Just used it (it is in fact in Windows 7). It did see an undetected hardware change, but Im still having problems with the cursor.

I did see something in the Mouse properties, called Click lock, which allows for dragging without having to keep the mouse button depressed. That was UNchecked--just in case someone might ask in the future.

7. 2015/07/31

Dont think I mentioned this earlier--when I touch the left click button on the touchpad, most of the time I dont hear a click at all. It is as if the button is already depressed. Some times I do hear/feel a click, just like with the right click, but much of the time I dont.

Perhaps this is a hardware malfunction, and the computer is thinking that I am always pressing down that left click button?

8. 2015/07/31
    retiredlearner

The answer - try another mouse? Or convert to Right click in > Mouse > Buttons and see if there is any difference.
    It may confirm a faulty/defective mouse. Neil.

9. 2015/07/31

The mouse is fine, the problem is only when Im using the touchpad.

10. 2015/08/01
    retiredlearner

Sorry, didn't pay attention when reading. If there is no audible noise when pressing Left button on Touchpad it may be damaged/jammed (dirt) or totally N/W. A strip down would be a major job as I'm replying on my HP Notebook and I can see there is no way I would be able to do it on mine without taking apart. Neil.